How to get treatment?

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 December 2017 at 8:28PM
    Wow.....wouldn’t that be wonderful if a simple dietary change could make things easier for him.

I have recently gone dairy free or more accurately, lactose free. (As well as being grain free) I’m feeling a lot better.

I was advised to give up caffeine. However given that I have to avoid grains, dairy and anything from the nightshade family I told the nutritionist that giving up caffeine as well was a step too far.

So rather than giving up I’ve cut down. I try to drink half caff coffee whenever possible. And I try to drink herbal teas sometimes rather than always black tea.

One trick your husband might try is to eat more alkaline foods and of course drink lots of water.

• He was also told taht tea/coffee can cause the muscle that holds your oesophagal spincter shut to relax, therefore making the gastric reflux worse.

Very interested to read this - had suspected so now going to try drinking something else. Thanks for sharing.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 December 2017 at 12:37PM
    My husband has had the first procedure, the laryngoscopy, to ascertain whether there was any damage to his larynx. He has had this procedure funded through BUPA via Beneden. He was home within three-quarters of an hour! :) Glad to say no damage other than a bit of soreness from the infection he has had recently, and he can sing again after Christmas :)

The consultant said he was glad my husband had come privately as the NHS wait for this procedure is many months. My husband said, it is worse than that, and told him about the letter he had received saying there were no appointments. The consultant was horrified and said he was attending a management meeting this afternoon, where he would definitely have something to say about that. He didn't know! He then said it was the fault of our NHS management, who he described as 'inept'.

Make of that what you will, especially the fact that the consultant didn't know his clinic were sending these letters.

My husband's other procedure, the endoscopy, he is having on the NHS in January. Not a long wait for this one, otherwise we'd have approached Benenden again. A wait of eight weeks is acceptable under these circumstances.

He is still off the tea, but has had a change of medication, as he came out in a rash with the esomeprazole. He is now on ranitidine, which seems to suit him much better and is just as effective. Giving up caffeine though has had the most impact.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    good news for you SDW, just in time for Christmas.

I'm not surprised re the consultant's revelations to be honest. Sad state of affairs really. At least he now knows and hopefully will benefit NHS patients too.

Merry Christmas and good wishes for the procedure in January.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • spirit wrote: »
    good news for you SDW, just in time for Christmas.

I'm not surprised re the consultant's revelations to be honest. Sad state of affairs really. At least he now knows and hopefully will benefit NHS patients too.

Merry Christmas and good wishes for the procedure in January.

It WILL benefit NHS patients - it's the NHS list where there are no appointments.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • I stopped drinking coffee and tea when I read your earlier comment. So two weeks this Sunday since I had any tea or coffee and not one incidence of acid reflux!!
  • UPDATE: Our wonderful NHS

After waiting for several weeks, my husband has had a letter regarding his NHS appointment for his procedure:

.......There are no appointments available.

Make of that what you will.

Yet you still vote Tory.

The mind boggles.
  • Yet you still vote Tory.

The mind boggles.

This is bad management. Even the Consultant said so. Nothing to do with 'voting Tory'.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Lizabeth21 wrote: »
    I stopped drinking coffee and tea when I read your earlier comment. So two weeks this Sunday since I had any tea or coffee and not one incidence of acid reflux!!

Glad it has helped. It has helped my husband too!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • This is bad management. Even the Consultant said so. Nothing to do with 'voting Tory'.

Open your eyes! The whole NHS is suffering, even Stephen Hawking says so and I bet he’s cleverer than you or me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure