PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Additional Electrics

Hello,
We are going to get a rewire done on a house we have just brought and I'm wandering if anyone wished that they had got something else done during their rewire? For example, more plug sockets.
This will be the first place we have brought and don't have to move immediately so want to get this done before we move in. One thing I'm thinking of is an outside socket/terminal on it's own fuse box loop (I need to learn the terminology).
Thanks all!

Comments

• n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can never have enough sockets in the Kitchen.

If I were doing my house I would take the oppertunity to put cat6 ethernet cables in. Wireless is ok for light use but you can't beat a proper cable.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Figure how many sockets you need then add 25% at least, make sure they are in the right places in rooms (think where will the tv be where will the bedside table be etc) add in arial sockets at the same time.

Outside plugs are very handy front and back of the house ideally.

Also think about any tech you have and whether you want that wired in directly
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    n217970 wrote: »

If I were doing my house I would take the oppertunity to put cat6 ethernet cables in. Wireless is ok for light use but you can't beat a proper cable.

Couldn't agree more with this! I'd also ensure that a good few of the sockets also had USB, if I ever had to replace sockets that's one thing I'll be insisting on.
  • Consider any requirements for repositioning ceiling rose , additional wall lights, extractor fans in shower/bath rooms., also external lighting for safety (front door and garage) /security (sensor type)
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you're going through the disruption of a rewire, then I would have the new sockets and switches fitted at the new heights above the floor. At first I was resistant to the idea, but since done, I really like the new heights, easier to use.

If channels are being cut, floorboards up etc, I would bring twin WF100 (sat cable) from a central point to each room where you might have a TV as well as the CAT6 cable.

Worth looking at running alarm cable and possibly fire alarm cable. I have started putting in a centrally controlled fire alarm in my projects. That way you get coverage over the whole house/loft/garage not just the hall and landing. Cost of hardware is minimal, it's the cabling that is the pain, so if the floors are coming up, then a great time to wire it in.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    To me (as an electrician) rewire is rip it all out and start again. So OF COURSE you will have more sockets, and sockets where you want them, better lighting configurations etc.

If anyone quotes you for a rewire and says he is just putting in the same number of sockets in the same place, run a mile.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    n217970 wrote: »

After having my entire new (to me) House covered in brick dust as my dad and boyfriend ripped it to bit to cat6 Ethernet the whole house, I am at least happy someone else thinks it’s worth the effort!!

I don’t see the use myself! I’m sure one day I will!! For now I’ll just sweep up the dust and cry to myself!
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    After having my entire new (to me) House covered in brick dust as my dad and boyfriend ripped it to bit to cat6 Ethernet the whole house, I am at least happy someone else thinks it’s worth the effort!!

I don’t see the use myself! I’m sure one day I will!! For now I’ll just sweep up the dust and cry to myself!

Wicks do a great hoover £40 great for cleaning up during renovations. Also sheeting helps!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    3 double sockets in every bedroom.
    Consider where you will be putting TV,s with a double socket behind.
    Cat 6 cable will help with Internet/Cable TV
    6 double sockets in Kitchen with 3 doubles near worksurface.
    Outside socket for Hoover, Jet washer, Xmas lights etc.
    Security lights front and rear and alarm system / smoke alarms
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Network cable (wireless is great, but has downsides).
    Alarm cabling... (Wireless as above)
    Coax cabling for Sky and even ancient Freeview.
    Consider a 12V/other dc circuit.

But the Must Have... Linked fire alarm system.... and don't rely on wireless linking on this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure