Will We Be Entitled Too Any Benefits?

Other half pregnant my salary 23k , her 25 total £48k.

Childcare costs look to be at least £900 a month :eek:

Would we be entitled to anything towards childcare?

Also when she is on SMP (employer only pays that £140 per week after 6 weeks) This will reduce our combined salary too approx 30k? Are we are too claim for anything then? (obviously childcare costs not required during this period).

If we are renting at 650 PCM, what is the most cost effective way to survive with childcare costs etc? Both of us working full time maybe? I see plenty of females at work who only work 20 hours when they've just had children, why is this?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Your household income would be too high for any benefits except child benefit.

You should look into childcare vouchers or tax free childcare for help with costs.

I work 24hrs and my husband works full time and have a 19month old. I do it because I can (sorry not really sure what you mean by why?). We receive child benefit and have childcare vouchers from work that cover the majority of our childcare. We also found that childminders are far cheaper than nursery and prefer the more 1-2-1 care he gets there.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2017 at 9:55AM
    Like all things in life op, the decision to work a certain number of hours is a personal one and I would assume that it works for their family.

I was in the very fortunate position of not working at all until my children went to school. That was almost 30 years ago and quite common then. We went without things that would be considered essentials now, but it worked for us and many others.

My daughter is also a stay at home mother because they can afford it and she didn't have a career that she needed to keep going.

Others work full time, part time or not at all. What others do is for them to decide. Do what works for you and your partner.

Are you assuming that going back to work full time is the only option?

Edit - This is the girlfriend who you don't trust?
  • NoNoDrama
    NoNoDrama Posts: 237 Forumite
    Your household income would be too high for any benefits except child benefit.

Except child benefit? So we would get child benefit? How much would that be?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,780 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    NoNoDrama wrote: »

£20.70 per week for your first child. £13.70 a week for any further children.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Looks like it's £20.70 per week for the first child.
  • NoNoDrama

What about help to childcare do we get something for that as well?

Also if the mother was single and on 25k the tax credits calculator says she would get:-

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks
    towards your household costs

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

I understand CSA doesn't affect benefits is this right?

So she could potentially get:-

£25,000 Salary
    £213 per month Child Tax Credit
    £273 per month Working Tax Credit
    £20.70 Per week child benefit
    + Whatever my CSA payment would be??

This seems like a lot (which is a good thing obviously!)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite

Also if the mother was single and on 25k the tax credits calculator says she would get:-

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

£25,000 Salary

But she isn't single, is she? You aren't suggesting fraudulently claiming she is single, are you?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite

Child Tax Credit

You could get

£213.95 every four weeks

Working Tax Credit

You could get

£273.17 every four weeks

£25,000 Salary

As I said, look into childcare vouchers or tax free childcare for help.

Are you planning to leave your pregnant partner?
  • NoNoDrama
    edited 6 November 2017 at 10:27PM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    That would be a "yes" then? If toy think the benefits people are that stupid, you should read a few more threads. You'll get caught. If not now, at some time. And then you may both have criminal records. Fantastic role model for the child...

You are looking for something (and baiting) that isn't there. Us not living together/being married I would assume she was classed as single. Give me a scenario when it's not. And yes, I'll wait. I don't really see any scenario the benefits office would not deem you as single if you are paying rent/council tax individually at separate addresses!

We both have decent enough jobs so why would we scam? I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.

Sounds like you've had a rough day to suggest something like that :(
  • NoNoDrama wrote: »
    You are looking for something (and baiting) that isn't there. Us not living together/being married I would assume she was classed as single. Give me a scenario when it's not. And yes, I'll wait. I don't really see any scenario the benefits office would not deem you as single if you are paying rent/council tax individually at separate addresses!

We both have decent enough jobs so why would we scam? I've never lived with a partner before so want to know in case it didn't work out that she'd be financially sound and that my child would be too.

Sounds like you've had a rough day to suggest something like that :(

Sorry but the whole tone of your questioning suggests that sangie is close to the mark.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure