Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

State Pension Boost

Hello
According to the calculator I would have to pay in £22250 to boost my pension by £25 Per Week. That means it would take over 17 years to recoup that money (forgetting about inflation etc & the additional tax I'd have to pay on my private pension) & take me to the age of 82. That doesn't seem to be a very good deal to me. Surely I'd be better off just keeping the money & taking the £25pw out of that, also I'd get at the moment about 1% interest rate min & compounded that would seem to be a better deal? Or Have I got the wrong end of the stick? There also is no mention of a tax allowance on the lump sum so that seems to make it even worse

Comments

• greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    The best deal is to defer your State Pension (you can do this once even if you are already in receipt) and get around 10.4% increase for each year.

Over twice the value of the top-up, also index linked.

The top-up isnt a bad deal (where else would you get 5% index linked) but deferral is so much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure