Income tax and new job

Hi :)

I've been at my new job for a few weeks now and I earn £8047 per a year. I don't have a second job either or any savings. I received my wage slip the other day and I've found that I'm paying tax on these earnings. I'm a bit confused about as to whether or not I should be paying income tax as I thought the personal allowance for this year was around £8100. I'm on the tax code 310L if its any help. I've already contacted Head Office at my work who says that the amount of tax I pay is correct but I'm unsure.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Were you employed before you took this job? If so, do you have a copy of your P45?

Are you paying any arrears of tax?

Do you have any taxable company benefits?
  • xylophone wrote: »
    Were you employed before you took this job? If so, do you have a copy of your P45?

Are you paying any arrears of tax?

Do you have any taxable company benefits?

I was not employed before I took this job and have sent a copy of my P45 to the Payroll department at work. I claimed JSA until I got this job. I do not have any arrears of tax nor do I have any taxable company benefits.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2012 at 5:43PM
    Remember, JSA is classed as taxable (so that would account for some of your annual personal allowance)
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim76222.htm
    hence why you were provided with a P45 when you stopped claiming.

Not sure why you have a tax code of 310L. It would suggest you were getting £5k p.a. taxable benefit in kind (like a company car). You may want to double check with HMRC why they have given you this coding.

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or you could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau which you can find at www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Dani89048 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I've been at my new job for a few weeks now and I earn £8047 per a year. I don't have a second job either or any savings. I received my wage slip the other day and I've found that I'm paying tax on these earnings. I'm a bit confused about as to whether or not I should be paying income tax as I thought the personal allowance for this year was around £8100. I'm on the tax code 310L if its any help. I've already contacted Head Office at my work who says that the amount of tax I pay is correct but I'm unsure.

Thanks for any help.

Hi

It is difficult to offer specific advice here. We would suggest that your contact:
    The Taxes Helpline who can deal with income tax enquiries from individuals and employees and should have access to the client's tax records. The contact details are:-
    HM Revenue and Customs Taxes Helpline
    Tel: 0845 300 0627 (Mon-Fri 8.00am-8.00pm; Sat 8.00am-4.00pm)
    Textphone: 0845 302 1408
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure