How much does it cost to care for a dog?

Options

Comments

• Hammerhead17
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses, there's definitely a lot to think about that I wasn't aware of. I'll make up a new budget when I'm not at work and re-post that. I'm not too worried about the finances of owning a dog I'm just one of those people who plans for everything and I think it's sensible to have a good idea of the costs rather than just saying 'I'll have a dog when I have lots of spare money'. My partner and I budget for everything so we'd have one for the dog too.

One really interesting point that I didn't think about was illness - in terms of where they'd go if they weren't feeling too well. That would be difficult in a maisonette (we have our own front door to the outside world). To be honest I am conscious that the house isn't ideal for a dog but got a bit hopeful when Max was round as he didn't seem troubled by it at all and it all worked out really well. Not sure if that's because he's a lurcher (Apparently his mum was a lurcher and dad was a whippet) and therefore likes to chill a lot of the time or if it's just because he's old (11).

We're dog sitting again in the not too distant future so we'll have another think after that as well.

Thanks All!
  • mirko
    mirko Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Remember, also if you plan on having a holiday abroad you have to pay to have your dog boarded, or for someone to look after it. For a week that could be 250-300?

As a casual estimate I'd say our dog costs at least £1k per year. (We have very good pet insurance, which is good as it paid out 1,600 on an operation she had to have last year).
    As of 24/11/2020
    Mort: - £98,200
    CCds: - £1,568.18
    Loan: - £0
    Savings: - £3,500.00
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    to my mind, it's not just the financial cost, it is also the emotional / commitment cost which I think needs very careful thought.

yes, it's great looking after someone else's dog, and it's all going well for you, but ...

that someone else can never just drop everything and go away on a whim. Even holidaying in the UK you have to look for places that will take a dog, and think about the dog's holiday too: are your holiday activities dog friendly? Long walks in the country and evenings relaxing? Lovely. Visits to stately homes and nights down the pub? Could be tricky. Beaches - is your favourite beach open to dogs all year? And so on.

EVERYTHING has to be thought about!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had a dog in a flat with no access to a garden - own front door so no communal areas to mess up.
    I'm now in a house but the current dog won't do his business in the yard at all. So whenever he needs to toilet it's lead on and out, even at 3am. Ditto when he's poorly - pile of newspaper to hand for when he's throwing up and we can't get out in time.
    It's not a deal breaker if you know what you're letting yourself in for.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SensibleSarah
    SensibleSarah Posts: 607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally it isn't something I'd do if I didn't have my own direct door access - but I do know people who manage just fine with dogs in flats etc.

My medium/large dog is now nearly 11, but even when I got her at age 3, she was a lazy so and so who likes to sleep 23 hours a day. She didn't cope well with a dogwalker (she's a rescue and doesn't trust people easily - even if she's known them ages) so has a dog flap into the garden for her to use when I'm at work and is fine with this.

Costs:
    Insurance - around £30 a month now, was around £15 when she was younger. Basic coverage though - decent cover costs much more
    Food - £40 a month for wet food
    Training treats (never leave the house on walks without them or she'd never come back) - £5 a month
    Toys - £0 - she won't play :(
    Beds - £0 she only sleeps on sofas or human beds and can't settle on the floor :(
    Other vet stuff - approx £150 a year (although she had a dental last year which cost £350 and isn't covered by insurance - that was the first 'big' cost) for worming, flea, annual booster, the odd cut or scrape that needs antibiotics etc.

I also have cats and they cost me way more than she does :)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I should say my greyhound is in a flat, I don't use the garden but have access to a few parks within a few minutes walk and a beach a few miles away.

She has two walks a day and several toilet breaks.

I've purchased suitable clothes for winter walking as I'm in Scotland.

A word of warning, sometimes they like to wake up early; mine gets up between 4 and 5am, sometimes just so she can sleep on the sofa, other times because she wants to go out.

If I did it over, I would wait until I had my own place with a garden!

Occasionally there are bout's of tummy upsets / vomiting although less often now she is being fed human grade meat and veg. Considering they are slender I often wonder where it all comes from. Yes, I've spent all night cleaning up, scrubbing carpets, picking up towels that were thrown down for her to throw up on - and she would get half on / half off.

Sometimes I have to encourage my four year old retired hound to get up so I can take her for a toilet break; especially if I want to go out or have a long bath.

Holidays and days out are planned around my dog and cat, as if I'm staying somewhere they go too.

Over 25 years I've had cats and vet bills have been under 1k in total so they are cheaper and more self sufficient.

You have to be careful of everything with a dog, keeping things out their way and being a hound they can easily reach up quite high!

The reason you had fun is because being an older dog it slows down and doesn't want to play as much.

Best advice I can give you is join some FB groups for the type of dog you want as many owners will offer advice, but always say they would never give them up.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you asked your FIL how much having a dog costs him?

Ask him what are the drawbacks?

There are many but , for some of us, they are less important than the pleasure we get from having a dog.

You need a dog who is happy to be left alone - not all are.
    You should not be house proud- wet muddy, paws, wet dog smell, hairs are just some of the pleasures

You can't be out all day then expect to go out all evening as well. Weekends are taken up with walks in the country, on the beach etc.

Holidays need to be planned in advance. If you ask someone to care for your dog when you are away what happens if they let you down at the last minute?
    If you use kennels a good one needs booked well in advance and costs.

Or you need to plan if taking the dog with you to find suitable accommodation and somewhere the dog will have a holiday as well as you.

If your lifestyle is already that type then all should be good. but if your choices are not compatible with a dog then think again.

You will have that restriction for many years, 11, 12 maybe more.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think OP has woefully underestimated the costs of a pet.

I have to budget 400 - 500 per month for my admittedly large Bullmastiff.

Insurance is £138 per month
    Good quality food / treats £150 pm
    Dog walker / day crèche as required makes up the rest
  • Ridgerunner
    Ridgerunner Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a large Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Insurance £36 pcm.
    Food £12 - ish pcm (very cheap as I feed a raw diet sourced from local butcher).
    Currently don't need any day care but soon will need a quick visit a few times per week so estimate £80 - £100 ppm.
    Toys as and when; he has some tough toys that last a very long time.

Annual costs - vaccinations, worming (buy a box of tablets that lasts the year from vet). Our visit yesterday for boosters and worming cost £87.

Incidental vet visits need to be factored in and, the larger the dog, the higher the cost of treatment.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Insurance seems a bit low, my cats are £6 a month each, they're indoor and they're young! Also don't forget about monthly treatments for fleas and worms, they can add up! Go to the vets to get those though, they are much better in quality. My local vet was also cheaper than store bought!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure