Life is a minestrone as the song says - my new diary

Comments

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good luck with getting clarification - these admin things never seem to be straightforward :eek:
  • teapot2
    Another NSD yesterday, I did order cat food online [special diet for old furry boy] but that won't be charged until its dispatched.

I also decided finally what to buy with my L@keland voucher and have ordered a new strainer and a reusable baking tray liner - rock and roll :rotfl::rotfl: Ordering the cat wee tea strainer replacement would have put the cost up to more than the voucher so I'll leave that for another time and might get one in the £shop.

I amended my @sda online order so that will be delivered tonight. Was fed up to see that my favourite shortbread biscuits have increased in price by 50% so they are off the list :mad:

I also managed to sort out more papers in prep for doing the tax return. Every year I tell myself I'll do the return before Christmas and I never do. Mind you I used to leave it to the 29th Jan to even start so this is an improvement if a slow one.

Made some split pea and veg soup yesterday so got that for lunch again and I have some HM pasta sauce left for tea.

I have 2 online orders to post :beer: so will pop out to do that at some point and have a look in the charity shops and try not to spend money anywhere else.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You're doing well! I haven't tried to log on to hmrc yet, though I've found my old *written* details, as opposed to the ones I put on my computer, so we'll see in a bit.

The tea strainer thing gives me an idea - I lost my lovely stainless steel one a few years ago, left it behind in Norfolk, and I bought an identical replacement at Dunelm, of all places. Full price was £5, I got it pre-Christmas for £3.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    50% on your biscuits is just dire :( :mad:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teapot2
    beanielou wrote: »
    50% on your biscuits is just dire :( :mad:

All is not lost though, they are still doing the same brand 'clotted cream shortbread' at the old price for now - happy days. Though I have to say it just tastes like the plain one :cool:
  • teapot2
    Few surveys done this morning, heading towards another cash out on OnePoll, wonder if I can get there this week :think:

Cashed out just over £20 on Prolific and transferred that to current account. That will pay one of the CC amounts for this month. I use Paypal at the moment but I know theres a fee so I might look at Circle for cashing out though I've no idea what that involves....

I went out and posted 2 online sales this afternoon. I avoided going for a coffee but had a look in the charity shops and bought a £1 crime novel and then by the tills was a tray of homemade Tablet. They have been taking lessons from the supermarkets and putting the goodies by the checkout!! I did succumb but have now eaten the evidence :o:o. So £2 spent today.

Also my @sda online shop was delivered, that was £27 but will do me for a couple of weeks at least except for bread and probably some fruit.

I didn't do anything towards the tax return but instead downloaded last nights new episode of Vera and watched that, I hadn't realised it was on and I do like Brenda Blethyn.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I bought tablet yesterday & like you the evidence is now gone :eek: :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teapot2
    edited 15 January 2019 at 12:11AM
    Mmmmm Tablet, drools :D

Just realised my last few posts sound like all I do is eat shortbread and tablet - oops
  • Hi is tablet the scottish equivalent of fudge? If it is I'm drooling too, my DD1 makes really nice fudge.
    CRx
  • teapot2
    Morning CR, tablet has a different texture to fudge and is possibly even sweeter depending on the recipe of which there are many. Now that I'm thinking about it, the difference is quite hard to describe. Tablet is maybe firmer when you bite into it and a bit more 'grainy' though not in an unpleasant way.

Its the sort of recipe that people hand down through the generations. I think that though delicious, tablet is full of ingredients that are frowned on these days. For example a typical recipe might include;

125g butter, plus extra to grease
    1kg golden sugar (granulated or caster)
    ½ tsp salt
    250ml whole milk
    350ml condensed milk
    ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Don't know if that is making anything clearer though :rotfl::rotfl: but one things for sure, they are both delicious! We used to make tablet to raise funds when I was in the Guides or for cake sales and it was always very popular.

Its an occasional treat now and I haven't made any for years, does your DD1 make fudge often? Too tempting....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback