Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike - MSE News

Options

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to cancel and then you should get a call back from the retentions department who can offer better deals. Before you do this make sure you find out exactly what else is available to you and use that to negotiate.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    Here we go again. Will need to speak to VM again to try and get some kind of better deal. Because of losing UKTV they reduced our bill by £5 a month and gave us Sky Cinema in HD free for a year. Now UKTV restored it might be hard trying to get anything else from them.

We have the full TV package, broadband 200mb, phone line (never used) plus Sky Cinema free for 12 months and pay £65.00 per month.

I rang VM today and they have cancelled the £48.00 increase and reduced the monthly amount by £2.00. Also now on a new 12 month contract and have extended the free Sky Cinema to another 12 months.
  • pmcgrath
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    You need to cancel and then you should get a call back from the retentions department who can offer better deals. Before you do this make sure you find out exactly what else is available to you and use that to negotiate.

Sorry, do you mean what else is available from other companies, or from VM themselves? The fastest BB I can get on my landline from Sky etc is only 10mb at the moment, so I'd like to keep the much faster VM option. TBH I don't really want to leave VM, just looking for a better price with Sky Sports throw in
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bufferz wrote: »
    Just renewed my contract, looks like that was a waste of time then...

According to the newsletter:-
    Only those who signed up to Virgin Media after 1st August 2018 won't see their prices increase.

Presumably this includes re-contracting customers in August? This (if true) would include anyone who renegotiated after the UKTV Gold debacle who signed up to a new 12/18 month contract.
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, I'll definitely be changing provider then, which is shame since I've been with VM since the old Cable/Wireless days!

I'm not a gamer and not particularly interested in the UKTV fiasco, but I do like a consistent connection ... and I'm certainly not getting it with the appalling Super Hub 3 and it's dodgy build! ... https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency-Cause/td-p/3271492 ...

So it's time for a change ...
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2018 at 11:49AM
    Options
    pmcgrath wrote: »
    Wow. I've only got the "Full House" package with BT sport only, 200mb BB and Talk Weekends and I'm paying £89 !! No Sky Sports or Cinema. Tried the on-line chat thing last week, as I noticed that the new customers where getting everything plus enhanced BB and Phone for the same price as I'm currently paying, but got nowhere. Didn't threaten to leave mind you and I'm not in any contract period just now. Any tips?

The online chat will not help in this matter. Phone them and speak to the retentions dept. The power house of the business. Be like me and just state your case and above al stay polite and calm. I'm sure you would anyway!

Also when I spoke to them today regarding the increase I never threatened to leave I just asked what could they do for me today.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got their letters yet ? :D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »

Nothing yet here, my latest deal (which isn't particularly cheap) runs out in October so I'll see what they can do for me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • morgana
    morgana Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    I got my letter today. Phoned to ask what was the best deal and they offered £3 off (price of the increase)Until Aug I had been getting a £7 loyalty discount so the price increase means a £10/mth increase in my bill =120/yr. Can't afford that so will phone retentions tomorrow. Looking at NOW Broadband deal but that goes up to £37/mth after 1 yr for 53Mb and broadband only.
    M
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »

Got mine today, will be ringing them tomorrow saying I want out.

I only took out my current dealbabfew months ago :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport