Declined for EE sim contract - what next?

Hi everyone, I found a great SIM contract deal yesterday through an online reseller 'fonehouse'.. I have been considering moving from giffgaff who I have been with for many years as I buy my phones outright and always have done...the SIM deal was a 12 month contract and I was willing to commit to this as it was the same price that I was already laying for but gave me more benefits..

However I received an email today stating how my order has been declined and cancelled with jo further explanation!
I panicked a little as I'm hoping to be getting a mortgage in the next year or two and presumed I was declined due to my credit history...
Like I say I have never had a phone contract or credit card but according to the credit checks I have done through mse I thought I should be in a good position...

Any advice on what I should do now as I'd love to get the sim deal but the bigger issue is, will this affect my chances with a mortgage or is this a sign to get a credit card and start trying to boost my score before I buy anything on contract???

Thanks for any advice as I'm in a bit of a pickle now!

Comments

• Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can't force them to give you the sim deal, so move on from that.

You need to get a copy of your credit files from the three agencies and check all the data on that - make sure addresses are up to date, there is no adverse history or anything of the sort that would make a lender unwilling to do business with you.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Don’t sign up to anything to boost your score.

Your “score” isn’t a real thing looked at by lenders.

Check all 3 of your credit files for anything untowards then go from there.
  • DesignDweeb
    DesignDweeb Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thanks Gaz, I'm not so fussed about the actual sim deal, I'm more concerned about what else I might be prevented from buying and if this will have a bad impact on mortgages in the future?

I recently changed my surname name by deed poll (a few months ago) but I assumed this would have just moved my records from my old name to my new name automatically.. just a little confused is all
  • DesignDweeb
    First Anniversary
    !!! wrote: »
    Don’t sign up to anything to boost your score.

Your “score” isn’t a real thing looked at by lenders.

Check all 3 of your credit files for anything untowards then go from there.

Sorry by boost I mean by legitimate ways such as paying off a credit card each month etc etc,
    I will have a look in the morning about finding out my scores and see what records are held against my name
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ignore the scores. Focus on the data.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 18 July 2019 at 9:38PM
    Presumably you have notified all banks and other credit providers of the change of surname and amended the ER?
    Forget about the credit score.
    In order to have been declined for a SIM only contract there is either something VERY BAD contained in your credit files or, more likely, there was a problem connected to your name change such as you not being on the ER under the name given which resulted in their being unable to verify your identity thereby resulting in the decline.
  • Ignore any scores or ratings you see.
    They mean absolutely diddly.

Just look at the data. Accounts, payments, defaults, on the ER etc.
  • DesignDweeb
    First Anniversary
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Presumably you have notified all banks and other credit providers of the change of surname and amended the ER?
    Forget about the credit score.
    In order to have been declined for a SIM only contract there is either something VERY BAD contained in your credit files or, more likely, there was a problem connected to your name change such as you not being on the ER under the name given which resulted in their being unable to verify your identity thereby resulting in the decline.

I thought I had updated everything, as i don't have many accounts I had a pretty small list to update... the main ones were banks, dvla and work.. I hope it's due to the name change and not something else because contracts is something I have always tried to avoid and I'm hoping that frame of mind isn't coming back to bite me now

Cheers again Gary, I will have a proper look around at my data, would I be able to do this through mse credit club or should I go directly to the main 3?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Like I say I have never had a phone contract or credit card but according to the credit checks I have done through mse I thought I should be in a good position...

Sorry by boost I mean by legitimate ways such as paying off a credit card each month etc etc,
    You say you have never had a credit card so how can you pay one off each month?
    If you cant get a SIM only contract why do you imagine you would be able to get a credit card to help build up your credit to the point where you can get a SIM only contract?

You appear to have already been checking your credit info through MSE credit club so at least you will have seen what data Experian have on you. Start off from there. Is everything correct? Is the ER entry correct?
  • Use the Credit Club for your Experian report.
    Use Clearscore for your Equifax report.
    Use Credit Karma (UK) for your TransUnion report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure