The Edcawber Principle

Comments

• VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Well done Edinburgher - sounds like a very good month!

My childcare vouchers take £124 net out of my salary each month (to get the full amount of vouchers). We should start getting free hours for our DD in January, so I have also now factored that reduced expense into future budgets!
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks VDOT47, it is the first time our expenses have reduced after having a child! We can remortgage to a hopefully lower rate in 2020, but other than that and small pay increases, we don't receive much good news on that front.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Good news on being under 50% CC utilisation :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    Forumite
    Burning MFW question - how do you draw the roof of an Excel house for a house spreadsheet? :rotfl:
  • edinburgher
    Forumite
    The end of another exciting week!

I have a job interview for a promoted post. Trying not to get overly excited as there are 10 applicants, but a) I'm qualified and b) it would be a good fit for me. I have 6 weeks to prepare, so plenty of time to study. It's a great opportunity, would add 25% to my salary over the next 3-4 years :)

Have been grocery shopping this evening and had a bit of an epiphany as regards fancypants shopping. While organic hippy produce is all well and good, I have negative £19,000. I don't think it's wise to continue to place my principles above the fact that I've basically spent my wages for the next year already :eek: Will continue to buy organic milk and eggs in the immediate term, but will revert to free range meat and regular veggies etc. Choice is for people with spare money ;)

Spent £14.98 of not strictly necessary money on a solar lantern and fairy lights for the garden. This is the best summer we've had of the 3 since we've moved in and I will not deprive Mrs E of a nice outdoor space for the sake of less than twenty quid! My priorities are my family, I'll do my best by the planet, but I can't do it all all the time.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I made those choices too Ed - organic milk also because I don't have many antibiotics I can take any more so milk with these in is not part of this household. I try to get eggs from my lovely neighbour who has a flock in the woods - not sure if they are organic but they are lovely and compare for price with Morries 12 large F/R. I know these are F/R as I hear them...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We personally found those milestones of childcare savings life changing. Enjoy that extra money in your account.

Just referring back to one of your earlier posts, We too feel like we probably indulge our children with our time, however when you feel that was lacking in your own childhood, it seems hard not to parent that way. I guess we will find the balance.
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • edinburgher
    Forumite
    I made those choices too Ed - organic milk also because I don't have many antibiotics I can take any more so milk with these in is not part of this household. I try to get eggs from my lovely neighbour who has a flock in the woods - not sure if they are organic but they are lovely and compare for price with Morries 12 large F/R. I know these are F/R as I hear them...

I used to have an "egg lady" at work who kept chickens, ducks and geese. I doubt she was making any profit, but the eggs were great! Antibiotic resistance is one of the great worries of our time - every dose DD gets has me grimacing :eek:
    CathT wrote: »
    We personally found those milestones of childcare savings life changing. Enjoy that extra money in your account.

Just referring back to one of your earlier posts, We too feel like we probably indulge our children with our time, however when you feel that was lacking in your own childhood, it seems hard not to parent that way. I guess we will find the balance.

Thanks CathT - we'll put it to good use. Pay down the debts, then fund a slightly more balanced (and fun) budget while building up a decent emergency fund. We are lucky in that our pension provision is going great guns and now I'm back in the LGPS, that particular worry is gently sleeping.

We're trying to be a bit less indulgent with DD. The fantastic weather of late has been a Godsend - she's perfectly happy to play in her old paddling pool in the garden with Mum and Dad with no new stuff, a little "picnic" (lunch at the garden table) and perhaps a 5p ice pole :A
  • Burning MFW question - how do you draw the roof of an Excel house for a house spreadsheet? :rotfl:

Go back a few pages in my diary for an example of a spreadsheet house with a very jagged south american pyramid style roof :D
  • edinburgher
    Forumite
    Go back a few pages in my diary for an example of a spreadsheet house with a very jagged south american pyramid style roof :D

Was wondering if there was some way to use the border controls to put a diagonal line across multiple cells? I can merge them, but then I can't use individual cells as payment blocks. First world problems?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback