Contribution based ESA in UC area- help!

Have read the Gov website & am confused - perhaps just not reading it right. Here goes... SSP run out, need to claim ESA. Won't get income based as too much savings, won't then get Uc as too much savings, but have paid enough N.I's to get Contribution based ESA. But the way the Gov website reads to me is that if in a full UC service area (am) then you claim "new esa"! :eek: Is this different than contr based or just a poncy name to confuse everyone? And if so how is it claimed please?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This may help, if you also scroll down the link it will tell you how to claim it, there's 2 different numbers so be careful of that.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The 'new' ESA is Contribution Based ESA. There are no income related elements to it so 'new' ESA is what you need to claim.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All you do is phone the number in Poppys link and ask for the application forms to be emailed to you for new style ESA.

Once you have completed the forms, you print them off, ready to take to your nearest Job Centre. You need to phone the number to book a Job Centre appointment, as otherwise you may not be seen if they are busy.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Well went along to JC & handed over "new style" ESA form. JC being in full service UC area.

Was told by the JC staff member that in a years time the ESA will end & "will be put on UC.":eek: :shocked:
    Rather a bold general statement as I am pretty certain that is incorrect as new style/Contribution ESA so long as in Support Group of ESA

(where think should be placed as get full PIP) is not time limited. :doh:
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,811 Forumite
    ESA benefit will be replaced at some point by UC. If you are in support group, sometime between 2019 and 2022 you will be migrated across.

It will be a huge task for DWP to transfer many vulnerable people across to UC, which is an online benefit and likely to cause a large number of people a headache. The Job Centres will be overwhelmed by requests for assisted digital help, so I expect Government will train up Council support workers to take on this task, with home visits if necessary.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    huckster wrote: »
    ESA benefit will be replaced at some point by UC. If you are in support group, sometime between 2019 and 2022 you will be migrated across.

It will be a huge task for DWP to transfer many vulnerable people across to UC, which is an online benefit and likely to cause a large number of people a headache. The Job Centres will be overwhelmed by requests for assisted digital help, so I expect Government will train up Council support workers to take on this task, with home visits if necessary.

Your post is incorrect. OP is claiming New style ESA, this will not be part of Universal Credit. Universal Credit is for income based benefits only.

OP - getting full PIP does not mean you will necessarily be put into the Support group, it is based solely on meeting descriptors, these are not necessarily the same as for PIP
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    Was told by the JC staff member that in a years time the ESA will end & "will be put on UC.":
    Rather a bold general statement as I am pretty certain that is incorrect as new style/Contribution ESA as so long as in Support Group of ESA] :

Totally incorrect statement by a DWP employee.
    I wonder how many other people they have mislead?
    I would suggest you make their manager aware that they are spreading misinformation.

UC replaces income based benefits.
    New style ESA is contribution-based. This will not be subsumed into UC.

If you are placed in the WRAG ESA group CB-ESA lasts for 365 days.
    If in the Support Group it can be paid indefinitely.
    If your fail the WCA, you can appeal to the Tribunal Service and ask for your ESA to be resumed pending an appeal date.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • sammyjammy wrote: »
    Your post is incorrect. OP is claiming New style ESA, this will not be part of Universal Credit. Universal Credit is for income based benefits only.

OP - getting full PIP does not mean you will necessarily be put into the Support group, it is based solely on meeting descriptors, these are not necessarily the same as for PIP

Yes realise full PIP isn't a "fast lane" for ESA & do realise ESA is descriptors based plus the Exceptional Circumstances clauses too. But appreciate the input. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure