Virgin Money and their shocking customer service hours.

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You are better off with a credit card backup (even with a small limit) for these problems than another pre-paid type card.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Over the weekend Virgin Money doesn't fully update their online banking, so I initially believed that was the case. I've finally spoken to them and they said despite me informing them of my location a temporary restriction was placed on my card and it is likely to happen again when I use it.

Ah, well, it's always a sensible move to advise your bank when you intend to use your card overseas, some such as Nationwide allow you to flag this up online, others need you to to call them. Failure to do so can easily result in the type of block you have had on your card.

Although why they would do it again now they are aware you are overseas I don't know, and will be worth a complaint when you return if it does happen (unless the T&Cs say that the card is not to be used overseas at all, unlikely I would have thought).
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Although why they would do it again now they are aware you are overseas I don't know, .

Common sense should provide the answer. We appear to live in an era of naivety.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Common sense should provide the answer. We appear to live in an era of naivety.

Should it? Perhaps you can explain it for those of us who are hard of understanding, because in my experience having told a bank that the card will be used overseas it should then be allowed.
  • agrinnall wrote: »
    Should it? Perhaps you can explain it for those of us who are hard of understanding, because in my experience having told a bank that the card will be used overseas it should then be allowed.

Sometimes a direct "Please ensure my overseas location ether these dates is registered" will be a clear instruction.

A "I'm overseas and nothing works" might not trigger a response of initiative from a call centre worker who's been in their job three minutes.
  • You know it makes sense! Enjoy Peru!

Thank you and I'll definitely enjoy Peru.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    You are better off with a credit card backup (even with a small limit) for these problems than another pre-paid type card.

Starling isn’t a prepaid card.
    ====
  • KJSmith
    KJSmith Posts: 152 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »

Notifying your bank that you're in a particular location may reduce the likelihood of your card being stopped as their fraud detection systems can take this information into account. However, it doesn't mean they will consider all transactions made there as genuine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure