Unclaimed allowances?

I'm new to this forum as I have just started my will executor duties. My uncle died last week and looking through the papers I realised that he never claimed the single person's council tax allowance that he was entitled to, nor the over 75s free TV licence... Can I make a claim retrospectively? I can't prove he wasn't of sound mind; he said he would do these things and so we never interfered further. Try as I might, I can't find anything about this online, so I rather assume it's a lost cause. Thank you for reading and do let me know if you have any knowledge to share.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm afraid I don't know, but it probably wouldn't take much more than a phone call to your late uncle's local council to find out about the CT bill.

TV licensing is a bit harder to contact. Personally I'd be surprised, but then I often am.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Sue is probably correct but you may have to fight the Council hard.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sue is probably correct but you may have to fight the Council hard.
    Well, all I know is that after the death of each of my parents, the council were one of the easiest and most sympathetic 'utilities' to deal with. After Dad, there was an immediate reduction of 25% for Mum, and they even checked that she was fully compos mentis, in case she was entitled to pay nothing! After Mum, they immediately explained that no CT would be due from date of death until probate was granted because the house was empty.

Obviously it may vary from council to council, and 'the cuts' may have reduced the number of people available, but honestly they were really easy to deal with!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't know the answer, but wotireckon is that it's worth asking the question about the current tax year. For previous tax years I would say no chance. It's the individual's responsibility to claim any tax reliefs he's entitled to.

If he wasn't of sound mind that responsibility would fall on his attorney or whoever was managing his affairs, not HMRC.
  • Thank you for getting back to me.

The TV license people have agreed a rebate - possible because we're just talking about two years' worth. I'm surprised too!

The council have said an emphatic no. But I'm not giving up!

Thanks once again.
  • If need be invoke the Councl's complaints procedure followed by the local govermnemnt ombudsman if need be. You cant go to the Ombudsman before you have exhausted the complaints procedure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure