New car problem

Options
Can someone please advise me on this
Two weeks ago I agreed to buy a car from my local garage I traded in my own car, a price was agreed on and I paid a deposit. Paper work all sign by both me and the salesman. Yesterday I went to collect my new card both me and the same sales guy signed all the papers and I paid the amount outstanding. Then driving home in my new car I got a phone call from the garage saying that they had made a mistake over the trade in price off my car and I needed to pay another £3000 for my new car. Where do I stand on this Do I have to pay this amount to the garage ?

Comments

• bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £300 I could understand, but £3000?! Did you realise they had significantly overvalued your car?

What car did you trade in and how much did they offer?
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    What did it say on the paperwork you both signed? If it had (for example) £20k list price of new car, £5k trade in and you paid £15k, then they said it was only worth 2k then I'd say it's tough luck for the dealer.

If it said 20k list price, £2k trade in but you only paid £15k, then yes, you need to pay them the extra.
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 1,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could play hardball and tell them you'll have your car back and give them the new car back.
    Seems like their mistake, so you don't need to do anything you do not wish.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree, the paperwork is key because it is your contract.

Not only should it confirm the agreed prices and trade in value, but does it also confirm the vehicle you are trading in and is it correct? I.e they were expecting a 2005 Focus and that's what you traded in, not expecting a 2015 Focus for example.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We'll never know - the OP won't tell us details.
  • Topogeegeeo
    Options
    It said 7700 trade in price for my car, on both documents Hubby tried to tell him he had made a mistake but he didn’t listen. The price should have been 4700
  • Topogeegeeo
    Options
    New car was £9275
    Trade in £7700. this is where the mistake was as the sales guy had said £4700 but had written £7700 on both documents which were then signed by both myself and the sales guy
  • Topogeegeeo
    Options
    Nissan Juke trade in price was given as £4700
    Sales guy had written down £7700 on both documents which were signed by both of us
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So the problem is that they've realised that there was an error in their maths and you wish they hadn't?

Do the decent thing and pay the amount you agreed.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I will say you need to pay the £3000 or haggle a bit to get some discount for the hassle. I am sure if they were over-charging you £3000, you will make sure the sales guy listen when your husband was telling him. If you were happy with the £4700 agreed, I don't see any problem with this. Otherwise, ask for the contract to be cancelled and get your car back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure