Teacher training alt degree

Options
Hi all.
Currently looking at training to be a teacher. I currently work part time after have a baby 14 months ago and I work shifts which I don't want to do ideally when he goes to school. I'm retaking my maths gcse but to start teacher training you either need a degree or equivalent. Does anyone know of equivalent courses to a degree which can be achieved via distance learning and more cost effective. I looked an a open uni degree which I'd love to do however the cost is far too high for me currently. Attending a college is not really an option for me either I work a few days a week only but long shifts and a long commute and then rest days I spend as much time with my toddler as i can. Thanks all

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One possible option if you have what it takes to get entry without a degree is to do a DL Masters degree which is likely to take 2 years and may well cost less than an undergraduate degree. I know that the Masters I did once allowed somebody to do it without a degree because they had a lot of experience, but you'd have to be able to make a very convincing case. I also don't know whether that would allow you to then do a PGCE but you could ask.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    in the UK to achieve QTS, you will need a degree.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts

The Open University is more likely the most flexible option but there are other universities that offer distance learning degree courses, but you will need to have a look as some of them have limited subject areas they cover.

You may be entitled to student finance including grants and loans to support you.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    You'd be best getting a degree, might be worth joining some of the online (facebook etc) discussion groups of teacher trainees. Quite a few folk there having difficulty at the application to PGCE point with equivalences rather than actual (GCSE) pre degree qualifications, and even more so in getting a job after gaining their PGCE and QTS if they don't have the usual GCSE, A levels and degree

Depending on the subject and level you want to teach you can receive a considerable bursary during teacher training, in addition to student finance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure