Minor bump.

Options
z1a
z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Ran into back of a car at a roundabout last night, impact speed probably about 1MPH, obviously my fault. Absolutely no damage to my car, no evident damage to car in front.
Owner of car in front seemed unconcerned, only took my contact details after prompting. Said he will get car looked at today to make sure.
Texted me today to say all appears good. Would the general opinion on here be to tell my ins. co. "For information only" just to cover my back?

Comments

• Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 May 2019 at 8:06PM
    Options
    I would suggest that would be sensible. Similar thing happened to my wife in October. We considered not reporting it as neither car had any damage but luckily decided that it would be wise to report it. Third party said they'd get back to us once they've checked the car if they wanted to pursue a claim. 'Seemed' honest professional person and neither we or insurance company heard anything for 4 months.

Just as insurance co. was on verge of closing the claim (as renewal was imminent and we didn't want open claim at renewal), hey presto out of the blue, they get a personal injury claim from the third party - from a 3mph bump hmmm! My cynical nature suspects that they may have been contacted by no win no fee 'we hear you been in an accident' company and decided that there was a chance of some dosh. Can't trust anyone these days so best not to take chances.

Insurance company fortunately are going to contest this so we are very glad we put in an incident report and avoided any issues even though we knew it might impact future premiums.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree with Shedman. The other party may think all is OK, but he hasn't yet spoken to the guy down the pub who tells him to make a whiplash claim.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Inform your insurance company, write out a detailed version of events and print out Google maps, take photos of your car to show no damage (ideally time and date stamped) etc; best off doing it while it's still fresh in your mind just in case an injury does appear down the line (there are still so many PI companies contacting strangers by phone to talk about the accident you had in the last three years).

I never wanted to practice PI as there are so many chancers, messes it up for the genuine.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all, have informed them today. good idea from MovingForwards about pic of car.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Spurious whiplash claims get my goat! I was in a crash recently ... traffic in front had braked, so did I and was down to about 10 mph. Car behind me failed to brake (at all) and was doing 50+ mph at impact, so 40+ mph differential. (I didn't run into the vehicle in front of me).

THAT might be worthy of a whiplash claim, but we all feel OK (myself, SWMBO and the dog were in the car) so have no current intentions of doing so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure