Card declined - no warning

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Happened to me when I had filled up with petrol :eek: it was so embarrassing I could hardly put it back and had no other means to pay I was made to feel like a criminal at the checkout :(

Never did find out why it happened bank didn't have an explanation just it was a fault. I definitely had the money available (despite what the checkout operative was trying to accuse me of).

I now pay by cash for petrol anything else if the card fails at least I can put it back. I don't really want to carry more than one card.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    eDicky wrote: »
    I think it's fairly common knowledge that this happens with all contactless cards, after a random number of uses, also if used several times in quick succession, it will decline and need to be used chip & pin once, then back to normal.

Is this really common knowledge? First I've heard of it, and would be the first time I've noticed such a thing!
    Know what you don't
  • happyandcontented
    happyandcontented Posts: 2,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Exodi wrote: »
    Is this really common knowledge? First I've heard of it, and would be the first time I've noticed such a thing!

Yes, I have read that the banks do this too, after a series of contactless transactions.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happened to me when I had filled up with petrol :eek: it was so embarrassing I could hardly put it back and had no other means to pay I was made to feel like a criminal at the checkout :(

Never did find out why it happened bank didn't have an explanation just it was a fault. I definitely had the money available (despite what the checkout operative was trying to accuse me of).

I now pay by cash for petrol anything else if the card fails at least I can put it back. I don't really want to carry more than one card.

The same thing happened to me and it was so embarrassing.

The Petrol station let me ring and they said I needed to contact the fraud department but they were not open until monday.

I was worried all weekend.

When I spoke to them they said that there had been an unusual transaction on my card.(It was genuine)

I am all for them keeping my account safe but there needs to be some common sense about it.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think it's fairly common knowledge that this happens with all contactless cards, after a random number of uses, also if used several times in quick succession, it will decline and need to be used chip & pin once, then back to normal.

That's what I thought was supposed to happen, and indeed for the first few months of having a contactless card it's what did happen. Since then though I never get asked for a PIN.
    Stompa
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2019 at 11:25PM
    Yes, I have read that the banks do this too, after a series of contactless transactions.

They do it for a common sense reason to protect your money and reduce their liability of course. Keep in mind, there is little check with contactless payment.

If someone stole your card they could buy multiple of £30 using contactless transaction. but after several transaction the card will stop working. In this case they will need PIN in which they do not have it.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In my experience, the transaction is not declined outright when this happens, as Exodi implies happened. When the contactless attempt is made, the user is prompted to insert their card and enter their PIN instead. There is no 'declined' transaction.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    I had a similar experience a while back.
    I used the card for a single small value online transaction which was for some reason deemed suspicious. It was genuine.
    The next day I attempted to use the card to pay for a meal. The chip/pin transaction was declined.
    When speaking to the bank I raised the questions of why a) They made no attempt to contact me and b) why they felt it necessary to block the card for cardholder present chip/pin transactions when there was nothing to suggest that the physical card had been stolen or the PIN compromised.
    Their reply to a was that they didn't have a contact telephone number for me (nonsense).
    No satisfactory answer was received to b.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    In my experience, the transaction is not declined outright when this happens, as Exodi implies happened. When the contactless attempt is made, the user is prompted to insert their card and enter their PIN instead. There is no 'declined' transaction.

The above scenario is what normally happens when the card has exceeded the Issuer's pre-programmed number of consecutive 'contactless' transactions.

In OP's case, it sounds like the 'consecutive contactless transactions' number was not exceeded so the POS terminal will not have prompted a CHIP & PIN transaction. Rather, the retailer has sent the 'contactless' transaction online for approval (which should always happen now) and the Card Issuer has declined it because they'd blocked the account.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The above scenario is what normally happens when the card has exceeded the Issuer's pre-programmed number of consecutive 'contactless' transactions.

In OP's case, it sounds like the 'consecutive contactless transactions' number was not exceeded so the POS terminal will not have prompted a CHIP & PIN transaction. Rather, the retailer has sent the 'contactless' transaction online for approval (which should always happen now) and the Card Issuer has declined it because they'd blocked the account.

The 'consecutive contactless transactions' number has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Whilst it seemed to be around 8-10 when I first got a contactless card, after a few months it seemed to increase massively. I've certainly managed several hundred consecutive contactless transactions without being asked for my PIN. I can only assume that the banks place much greater emphasis on the nature of the actual transactions (e.g. location) to determine whether they think it's fraudulent.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport