Card declined - no warning

Options

Comments

• Brightmerchant
    Options
    That sounds sensible. Perhaps terminals could be adjusted to flash up a "Advise customer to call issuer" message to spare the cardholder the embarrassment of "Declined"?
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    Totally agree with the safety-first approach; but it would be really helpful if the problem could be given publicity. In my wife's case, the bank didn't identify the site she'd be using that had been compromised. A friend had a similar experience and discovered the card had been blocked because it had been used on a ticket-booking site that had been hacked.

Publicising where the compromise took place comes with a risk that customers may take action into their own hands. Its a tricky one.
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It shouldn't be that difficult for the card issuer to send a text. Basic customer service I would have thought.
  • Brightmerchant
    Options
    Totally agree.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sounds sensible. Perhaps terminals could be adjusted to flash up a "Advise customer to call issuer" message to spare the cardholder the embarrassment of "Declined"?

This suggestion is akin to a process that used to happen more often but probably hardly ever happens these days. The Issuer would send a 'referral' response to the authorisation request and the retailer is supposed to call their Acquirer and put the cardholder on the phone to verify their identity.

Sadly, many transaction environments are not suitable for this sort of process any more and the supermarket check-out is one of those where it can cause mayhem.

The daft thing here is that the card details had been compromised - it wasn't that the physical piece of plastic had been lost or stolen - so the issuer could have adopted a differentiating policy of declining card-not-present transactions but approving CHIP & PIN (as suggested above) until such time as they could advise the cardholder of the problem.

Sadly, not all issuers are created equal.
  • Brightmerchant
    Options
    The distinction between a "lost or stolen" card and one which might have been compromised is well made by Terry T. If the card hasn;t been reported as AWOL there can't be a good reason to decline a chip and pin transaction with the customer physically present.

Also, as others have said, a text alert would be a sensible approach.

I suspect, however, that banks do what is easiest for them. Decline all transactions in the expectation that the worried customer will call them.
  • ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am surprised that the OP's wife knew nothing of this - perhaps it's down to the card provider?

My other half used her Nationwide debit card last year online to purchase something (from China although we didn't realise this) - the transaction was not authorised and she immediately received a call.

More recently (at the beginning of the year)I had a text message alert from a credit card provider (Halifax) saying that there was a suspect transaction; turned out to be legitimate but the card was immediately blocked pending my telephone call (and I was told all this in a text message).

So yeah, very surprised that nothing was raised from the provider. Perhaps (and I am guessing here) she opted out of all communications from the card issuer and therefore did not receive the alert?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ndf9876 wrote: »
    Perhaps (and I am guessing here) she opted out of all communications from the card issuer and therefore did not receive the alert?

It won't be that. Account servicing comms are unaffected by marketing preferences.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Card functionality isn't only restricted due to suspicious activity.

About two months ago, my Club Lloyds card was declined through Contactless at three different retailers (fortunately I always carry alternative means of payment). I keep £5,000 minimum in this account at all times (that sweet CL interest) so was somewhat confused. I'd had no messages or contact regarding any suspicious activity (and they have my up-to-date contact details).

A few days later I used Chip & Pin and subsequently the contactless starting working again. It leads me to believe that they periodically temporarily disable contactless on cards that haven't had the PIN entered in a while.

I agree with the above. Nothing stopping Lloyds sending an automated text saying 'We've noticed your PIN hasn't been entered in a while. For security reasons we've temporarily disabled contactless payments.", lord knows they send me enough messages about getting a mortgage with them!
    Know what you don't
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    A few days later I used Chip & Pin and subsequently the contactless starting working again. It leads me to believe that they periodically temporarily disable contactless on cards that haven't had the PIN entered in a while.
    I think it's fairly common knowledge that this happens with all contactless cards, after a random number of uses, also if used several times in quick succession, it will decline and need to be used chip & pin once, then back to normal.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport