Royal Mail £8 Internal Post Handling Fee scam?

Comments

• I have just encountered the same problem, I'm fuming. I ordered $36.58 of goods, just over £18. Of course my luck is that you pay nothing under £18 but a few pence over and you pay the VAT (so £3.28) and Royal Mails £8 handling fee!!

So I have paid an additional £11.28 on goods that only cost around £18.30

That's insane, I'm furious but fear there's nothing I can do about it :(

Just had the same experience myself. But, due to the unimaginative dollar exchange rate currently being applied by the UKBA my $30 value also translated to £18.30, thus marginally above the established £18 threshold above which VAT payment is demanded (and incidentally, the £8 handling charge is applied). At 20% the VAT should be £3.66.

However, in my case, the VAT figure was £13.49!!!! plus the £8 handling, i.e. £21.49 on goods valued at £18.30!

The Charge Notice attached to the package quoted 0207 239 2449 as contact number for UK Border Agency at Mount Pleasant. Six successive attempts left me on an open line after ringing for five minutes each time without an answer. UK Border Agency Helpline (0847............) eventually gave me 0207 239 2447, with just a repeat of earlier zilch result. They've now advised me to send the empty box bearing the requisite labels to UKBA at Mount Pleasant to query the VAT charge.

Since the dollar exchange rate shows no sign of improving for some time, and I've not previously been charged on the same goods that have been shipped to me for many years, I've advised my supplier to revise their declared value to $25, thereby avoiding these surcharges on future shipments ;)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Customs charges are applied on value+ postage cost of the item, not just item value.

Anyone importing items should look into these matters beforehand instead of ranting afterwards.

I started ordering things from the US at 13 and managed to work things out to a rough degree.
  • I always ask the sender to mark the customs declaration as 'GIFT' that way you get a £40.00 allowance before VAT is charged rather than just £18.00. I know it doesn't get rid of the annoying RM 'scamming fee' of £8.00 on goods over £40.00 but it gives you a little more lee-way. Also, have a word with the sender, if the item is only just over the £40.00 'gift' allowance value, ask them to put the value at £40 or just below - the only downside is that if the package is lost or damaged then you can only claim the amount that's put on the declaration as the items value.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I always ask the sender to mark the customs declaration as 'GIFT' that way you get a £40.00 allowance before VAT is charged rather than just £18.00. I know it doesn't get rid of the annoying RM 'scamming fee' of £8.00 on goods over £40.00 but it gives you a little more lee-way. Also, have a word with the sender, if the item is only just over the £40.00 'gift' allowance value, ask them to put the value at £40 or just below - the only downside is that if the package is lost or damaged then you can only claim the amount that's put on the declaration as the items value.

why dont you ask the seller to mark it that you will be clearing the customs yourself?
    Declaring the goods yourself

As the importer you can carry out your own customs procedures.
    If you want to do this you will need to ensure the sender clearly marks the packet 'goods to be customs cleared by importer'.
    You will then be sent a declaration to complete and return to the appropriate customs postal office.
    They will calculate any import charges and write to advise you of your tax liability.
    When you have paid this and the funds have been cleared, your goods will be released for delivery.
    However, as a manual procedure there could be a considerable delay to the receipt of your goods.
    You can obtain copies of the import declaration form and further information from our National Advice Service (NAS) on Tel 0845 010 9000.
    This information is available from our web site by using the following links;

Import & export, which is under the heading businesses & corporations;
    Businesslink ż International Trade,
    Practical advice for business, where on the left hand margin is a heading
    International trade;
    Under the heading Practicalities of importing & exporting is Practical importing;
    Importing & exporting by post;
    Under the heading subjects covered in this guide is How to declare goods when importing by post;
    Half way done this page is Declaring the goods yourself.

I must emphasise that the advice given is based on the information you supplied. If the nature of the transaction changes in technical detail, or the relevant details provided were incomplete or incorrect, we will not be bound by this ruling.

Yours sincerely,

HM Revenue & Customs
    Customs, International Trade & Excise

there you go,no 'scamming fee's' for you and all above board
    seems a no brainer given those fee's are all 'scams'
  • has anyone ever asked for an exact breakdown of this £8.00 'handling' fee? what is physically done & how much does this process really cost?
  • custardy
    has anyone ever asked for an exact breakdown of this £8.00 'handling' fee? what is physically done & how much does this process really cost?

yes they have,perhaps you should google it and look at the size of the Mount Pleasant office and its staffing level/costs
    however you appear to have also missed my previous post
  • like most people, i'm lazy & want my goods a.s.a.p. so i put up with the damn fees & grumble afterwards. my 'gift' method may not be exactly ethical but it IS quick & easy (just an email or two which i don't have to move my lazy !!! to do!)
  • sorry if i missed you previous post - i only just registered for this site 15 mins ago.
  • custardy
    like most people, i'm lazy & want my goods a.s.a.p. so i put up with the damn fees & grumble afterwards. my 'gift' method may not be exactly ethical but it IS quick & easy (just an email or two which i don't have to move my lazy !!! to do!)

so theres your answer
    pay up or do it yourself
    if you have a better system them put it up but remember it needs to be paid for
  • CAN ANYONE HELP? Ive been waiting for a package from the U.S.A. for about 3 weeks now. I've contacted the sender & he said that customs may be 'holding' it (the item is a vintage cigarette lighter - empty of fuel). 1). Why would customs be holding it. 2). When will they inform me. 3). How do I contact them by phone - Tel. number/opening hours/are they open at weekends etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback