Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• I think N power have your house mixed up with a mansion. £45 a week is astronomical !

I love a hot water bottle as well , I am still using my children's from 25 years ago . The rubber seems to be fine still.

On the subject of Lakeland , I was in there Saturday for lunch in Windermere. We got some free mulled wine , had a little mooch but didn't buy anything. I have a few bits from there but nothing wildly expensive.

Have you been paid yet ?

I know, I think NPow3r have gone bonkers :eek: :mad:.

We haven't been paid yet :( but DS1 should get his ESA tomorrow and will give us £40 for his fortnightly payment, so that will cover most of the food bill tomorrow. The other bills will have to wait :(.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Cashmere fingers crossed for funds tomorrow HH .
  • I use the leftover water from the kettle, or the water from pre-heating OHs flask but yes anything with a heat element is expensive to run. You can fill from the hot tap but it isn't good for the life span of the bottle apparently.

Just a thought but do you have an immersion heater? If that has been accidentally left on then it's like having a kettle permanently on.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 October 2018 at 10:05PM
    We have a gas combi boiler not an immersion heater Redo.

It's our electricity bills that are the highest (apparantly) but it should help that I'm not using the tumbler any more. They are also predicting that we'll use lots of gas heating over the winter. I think we'll be using less heating than they think as we woke up to frost on our attic windows this morning and we still haven't had the heating on.

The washing machine is on once a day and DS2 has his light and laptop on all the time, unless he's asleep. But even so it still seems a bonkers amount :mad:.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    When funds allow you could always consider a Breville(or who ever) hot cup. It only heats the water you need. It is fab. I got a deal on one on Amazon a while back.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Also 20 quid a fortnight seems a great deal for your DS2.
    Would you consider increasing it by even 5 a week?
    Would still leave him at least 50 a week for himself.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• DS1 gives us £40 a fortnight (£20 a week). It's not that much, but he saves £20 a week in his savings account too. He pays for his entertainment, clothes, travel, etc, with the rest.
  • beanielou
    I meant it is a great deal for DS2 but not so much for you.
    Apologies, it was very poorly worded.

• No problem Beanie :). We could ask him for more but we're too kind :o.
  • Echoing what beanie says about one cup heaters. We use one and have done for years. I love it as DH doesn't do hot drinks so boiling a kettle for just one always had some waste.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback