On a Mission

Comments

• Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A moby wrap is perfect for tandom wearing, and the Sling library will definitely help you out.

Slings & wraps are my expensive baby hobby. They are so pretty (and practical)

Totally agree with you on how practical slings are. My youngestwas never in her pram for the 1st 6 months. It was so much more easier popping her in the Sling. Gave me more freedom to go for long woodland and hill walks.
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • Mummy_bear
    Totals as of 2nd APRIL

Lloyds CC £5553.11
    MBNA CC £4173.15 £66.69 paid off
    Barclaycard CC £1517.64
    Tesco Loan £8521.96
    Santander Loan £5440.7
    TV -DH purchase £152.02
    M&S Loan £6824.8
    Littlewoods £189.99 I've been able to work out what is actually owed without the interest. This is in interest free purchase until Jan 2019. This will be paid off well in advance of that. So basically by removing the interest (which I'll never pay) I've cut £203.53 off what I 'owe'
    Next £107.52

Total debt as of 1st April £32751.11 :(
    Total debt as of 2nd April £32480.89

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been looking at my credit cards in a little more detail this morning and trying to work out how I want to go about paying them off.

BC has the smallest balance of which some of it runs out of the 0% interest free period in November 18. The remaining to be cleared by June 2019.

Lloyds has the biggest balance with the majority running out of the 0% deal in January 19.

MBNA's earliest deal runs out June 2020 so I can sit back on that one.

My thoughts are to clear BC by XMAS this year. Then, hopefully either MBNA or BC will have a good balance transfer deal for me to move the LLoyds CC balance. This should mean I still only have 2 CCs to pay off and I'll be able to snowball what I was paying to BC to one of the other cards depending on which has a deal ending soonest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been thinking about other targets to set myself each month like I used to.

List 10 items on EBay 0/10

Earn £30 payable from survey sites £10/£30 I've managed to get my 1st £10 of the year from VO after I've neglected it for months. Hopefully I can get a steady £10 a month from there and the rest from either PA or Qmee or even YouGov (so close to getting £50 on there)

Reduce debt by £1000 £270.22/ £1000

I think that'll do for now

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
  • Mummy_bear
    Good morning diary,

Early start for the day as usual due to double the kicks in the belly.

Almost 26 weeks pregnant and feeling really good. Saw midwife yesterday and all checks spot on. Due having regular hospital appointments now she's decided not to see me again unless the consultant suggests otherwise.
    Was weird hearing her say 'all the best' this early.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been trying to get overtime in at work, but it's hard being on restricted duties. Managed to secure 1 extra Saturday and knocked back for others. Better than nothing I guess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well we've been hit with a dilemma here.

DH went for an interview for another job with starting salary £2500 more a year than what he's on now. After training it's got potential of going up further. He got the call yesterday to say he got the job.

He told his current job about this offer, they panicked and matched the salary offer and also promised to put him through his official exams to get qualified for the job he actually does. ..the significance in that being that the qualifications means he could go for jobs in the future up to 10k a yr more than what he's on now. Only caveat is that he would have to stay for 12 months otherwise he'd have to pay back any courses/exams.

Problem is they promised him this course when he first started. It's why he went for the job. 18 months later and they said they weren't going to put him in for them....then suddenly they've changed their mind. We have no faith that they will follow through with this new promise. Also they pretty much said that if they match the wage there won't be a further pay rise any time soon.

However, if he stays at his current job he gets paternity leave.

If he goes for the other job he may get unpaid leave. This could be manageable BUT the biggest issue is the pay date.

He currently gets paid on the 27th of every month. The new job will be the 8th of every month. He has to work 2 months notice in his current job...so looking like last day being 1st June.

So he'll get paid the 27th May and itell pretty much have to last until the 8th of July when he'll get his first payment in the new job. That will mean his last wage in current job will have to cover 2 lots of outgoings as he has them all coming out around the 27th. He can't afford that and 850 of his wage goes to my account to cover his half of bills/food etc.

The only way it could work is if I lend him money from my maternity savings to cover that deficit and then have him pay me back monthly with the extra earnings each month!! It'll be tight..very tight.

Last night DH felt defeated and was up for telling the new job that he wasn't going to accept the offer. But I know he really wants the job, it's slightly different to what he does now and actually has more potential.
    Another downside is the hours in the new job...over 40 hrs a week and every other Saturday morning.

If he does accept the job well have to accept that he can't have paternity leave either. It's going to be so hard doing the school run with baby twins, a first toddler and the 6yr old.

It doesn't sound a good option written down. But I know it'll make DH happier. I have told him the grass is not always greener as he's discovered in every job he's ever gone for. But he's really unhappy where he is...the commute alone is hellish.

Have no idea what way DH will go with his decision. He has to make his mind up today.
    watch this space.

MB
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fingers crossed he makes the decision for whatever make his happy. I know it'd be crap with paternity and pay at the start but that's only in the short term and if it means more money and him happier id say go for it. No point staying where he is if he's completely miserable. Hope he's happy with whatever his choice is :-)
  • Mummy_bear
    Well, he's done it. Handed his notice in. Has to work 2 months notice and he'll start the new job beginning of June.

He also spoke to the new job and they've said they will allow him paid leave when I have the babies even though it's likely to happen within a month of starting the new job. They're going to provisionally book some leave at the end of June beginning of July when I'll be 38 weeks. I think that's amazing of them!

In other news I've had a good run with PA of late and submitted a cashout today for £26.91. Already I've got another £5.18 pending. So I've smashed that target for this month.

I'm off work tomorrow and will get cracking with Ebay listings.

Totals as of 5th APRIL

Lloyds CC £5553.11
    MBNA CC £4173.15
    Barclaycard CC £1517.64
    Tesco Loan £8521.96
    Santander Loan £5440.7
    TV -DH purchase £152.02
    M&S Loan £6824.8
    Littlewoods £189.99
    Next £116.52 this has increased slightly as I had to order some Maternity tights

Total debt as of 2nd April £32489.89

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

List 10 items on EBay 0/10

Earn £30 payable from survey sites £36.91/£30
    A good couple of days with PA has helped smash this target.

Reduce debt by £1000 £261.22/ £1000

MB
  • Oh that is lovely of the new job to say he will have paid leave. Sounds like he made the right decision and great for you to know he will be off and able to help without either of you having the extra worry of it being unpaid.
  • Sounds like he's made the best decision. although the reduced commute would have won it for me outright.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Mummy_bear
    edited 6 April 2018 at 5:22PM
    Whilst waiting for tea to cook I thought I'd pop on for a mini update.

Friday is usually pizza night. We tend to go to the pizza counter in a supermarket. However this time round I'm making homemade pizza instead...Fraction of the cost. Will be teamed up with homemade wedges and salad.

26 weeks pregnant today. First week in ages where I've gained only a lb instead of 2-3lbs. I'm actually on course to put less weight on this pregnancy with twins than the last one with one!

Logged into my receipt hog app for the first time in months. Need to get back into the habit of using this. Currently on 2670 points/coins. I could actually redeem 1000 coins for a £3 Amazon voucher or wait until I get to 2850 for a £10 voucher.
    However my challenge is to get 12000 points for a £50 voucher or even a £50 paypal payout...not sure how long that'll take!

Totals as of 6th APRIL

Lloyds CC £5553.11
    MBNA CC £4173.15
    Barclaycard CC £1517.64
    Tesco Loan £8521.96
    Santander Loan £5440.7
    TV -DH purchase £152.02
    M&S Loan £6824.8
    Littlewoods £189.99
    Next £116.52 this has increased slightly as I had to order some Maternity tights

Total debt as of 2nd April £32489.89

No movement here. These are the quiet days before I get paid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

List 10 items on EBay 5/10 got round to listing 5 items on Ebay. Not high value though so I don't expect amazing earnings

Earn £30 payable from survey sites £36.91/£30
    A good couple of days with PA has helped smash this target.

I'm almost half way to another £10 on VO . Honestly when I make an effort I can do so well on this. I reckon I'll get minimum £10 a month from VO which I tend to put towards Christmas.

I've also got just over £3 in Qmee. Not going to cash out yet though.

Reduce debt by £1000 £261.22/ £1000

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back before I took an unplanned diary break I'd set myself the challenge to get back into reading again. I fell off the wagon with that over Xmas and new year. But at the end of Feb I started again and have challenged myself to read 15 books this yr.
    Currently up to 5 books :T

But I've not read since coming back on here...I'm obsessed with reading debt free diaries but somehow I doubt this will count towards my challenge!

Current read = Maura's Game by Martina Cole

MB
  • I use the receipt app too and am aiming for 12000 points (currently on 2223) I wish I would win some coins in the monthly draws. Not one anything since I started using it last summer, but, I'm now on level 11 and from 12 onwards you get coins rather than spins which are a typical lottery. Hope you have better luck than I do.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I have just caught up on your diary mummy bear and congrats on the expectant twins. We have baby fever here too as my youngest DD is expecting DGD2 in 4 weeks time. :)

Well done on not increasing the debt too much and glad your DHs new employer is being so good about paternity leave.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback