2019 Wedding

Comments

• 63 days to go!

Work has begun to be less stressful, so I feel able to give more of myself to wedding planning, thank goodness. :)

The dress from Am@zon fits so that's good. I still need to take up the jumpsuit, planning to do that by next weekend when the girls are next over.

Still need to organise clothes for my son and grandkids, they're here tomorrow so I'll be able to discuss what they need then.

This week I've been working on my card basket, which was a freebie from a friend and started life as a hamper, think old style wicker picnic basket, I've put some bunting on it, added some little lights, a bit of greenery and a hessian sash and bow. I'll add a photo to my sillymoo makes page in the next day or so.

Still need to do the corsages for the mums, but I'm stuck and haven't worked out what I want to do with them, need inspiration, next stop is pin trest!

I phoned the register office today and paid the remaining balance and ordered 2 certificates.

On Wednesday I ordered 'bride' shortie pyjamas (to wear on my hen weekend), hold up stockings, a strapless bra and a pack of 5 pants from emandess, they all arrived today. Pleased as punch with all of it, the pyjamas were only £6 and even though the bra and pants were not a set, the lace matches on them :T I've put a pair of pants to one side for my wedding day and the others I've put at the back of my draw, I won't be wearing any until after the wedding :rotfl:

I keep ticking things off the to do list :j but I keep adding to it as well :(

How's everyone else getting on?
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • Hello!

We have just set a date for our wedding and it is in 6 months time! Eeek. I'm very excited and just getting my head around all the things that need organising. We have paid the deposit for the venue and registrar so far, and sent out lots of enquiries.

Our venue isn't licenced, and they don't charge corkage either, so does anyone have any recommendations for cheap booze that they have found so far? xx
  • owenjt
    owenjt Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 8 April 2019 at 2:17PM
    Impressed by all the savings people are making on their weddings! Can anyone recommend some great venues on a budget? Ideally looking in Greater London / Surrey / Hertfordshire.

Me and my fiancee have been looking but the costs are so high. Found a lovely venue which costs around £7000 for 70 guests including drinks and wedding breakfast (which is pretty reasonable for what it is) but it's everything else on top that's taking the cost to beyond what we want to pay. Very difficult to find the right balance between having the things we'd like to make it a special day but on a budget.
  • 37 days to go!

owenit - sorry, I can't help with venues in your area. Sometimes Group on do deals, might be worth a look.

theonlytrueblonde - have you looked at cash & carry, Aldi do some nice bottles of wine too. The only other recommendation would be supermarkets when they have special offers on.

I think we're nearly sorted!

We had a final push on getting table arrangements and button holes done last weekend.

We went to to the reception venue on Monday evening so that we could set up tables with our bits to see how we wanted them and how to have the tables set out for our meal, where to have our cake table and sweet table.

I paid the final amount for the use of the venue and paid for our welcome and toast drinks. Need to contact the caterer separately.

I need to get my sewing machine out to hem the jumpsuit.

I've taken my dress to be altered on the neckline, I'm due to collect that on 25th April.

Had a mini meltdown as the lady making my cake had gone quiet on us and was getting a back up plan sorted out, but it's all ok now as she's been in touch, just need to find a cake topper.

A little worried about my hair, a lady from work has said she will do my hair up for me and we were trying to sort a date out for a trial, due to the Easter holidays she is away at the moment, then next weekend I'm away and the weekend after is my hen do, which only leaves 2 weekends until the wedding. Well have to try and catch up one evening I think, I just really wanted to do the whole dress rehearsal so to speak; hair, make up and put my dress on to check it all looks ok.

This weekend I'm taking my engagement ring to be cleaned and polished and having my hair trimmed, my usual hair dresser is not working the day I get married.

Ordered outfits for my grand kids which should be arriving in the next couple of days and my son is going to wear the suit I bought him a few months ago.

We've not quite decided on music for the ceremony and if we really can't decide the register office will just play classical music.

Disco have asked for us to let them know a week before our first dance and any other songs we would like, we've started a list.

it's been fairly quiet in here, I've found a bride page on fb, I wonder if some of you others have found it too? Hope everyone else is getting on ok too.
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    kdalwayskint - not long at all now :j

Realised I never came back and updated previously - wedding booked for 2nd Nov. BUT wish we'd gone for another date now - wedding ceremony at 11.30am basically found out after booking that it's at the same time the Rugby World Cup Final finishes. OH family are massive rugby fans so this could be an issue and all I keep being told is we'll have to make sure the TV is on :o

Bit fed up to be honest - felt like I'd made a dent in sorting stuff but now it's just feeling never ending and new stuff coming up all the time that hadn't even thought of.

Went to a couple of local wedding fayres which weren't particularly helpful apart from establishing exactly what we do not want - which was basically anything at them.
    I think our style is so far removed from the usual wedding scene - or at least from the style at these particular wedding fayres.
    One woman started reeling off a list of ed Sheeran songs she could sing - meant nothing to us, we said it wasn't our type of music - to which she then assumed we were goths (and no we don't look like goths either) and started offering us loads of black things she could decorate the venue with :rotfl:

Sorted so far;

Notice
    Venue
    Photographer
    Save the dates - kind of - we just ended up Facebooking family who don't live locally in the end
    Dress - not coming until Aug/Sept time and it will be first time I will have seen it in Ivory- one I tried on was dark green :eek:
    Hair and make up
    Ceremony wording

Flowers - ish sorted, had a meeting last week but awaiting a quote

Need to sort:
    Food - venue has caters but need to pick all choices for whole weekend. Realised they don't do tastings either. We're both Veggie and want the whole weekend to be meat free sure some won't be too keen on that but sure they'll live. Main issue is their veggie options seem to be quite 'token' meals ie cheese tart, so hoping they will agree to do something different (they did indicate they would at initial meeting)

Rings - We were going to go bespoke and had a meeting with a designer but she went AWOL for ages and I had to keep chasing for quote. lost confidence - to be honest I think she forgot then hastily put together some sketches which were almost totally opposite of what I had said I wanted. Think I've found the ring I want on Etsy but it's from Italy and never seen in person so just a little reluctant ordering.
    Guest list - not sure if to invite anyone else, or maybe some more for evening or just leave as is (25 guests currently attending)
    Invites
    Decoration - probably not too much needed but had a few plans of a few bits

Cake - this is proving incredibly hard because we want something that's not a wedding cake. Know what we want it just finding the right person to execute.
    Basically we had a cake years ago from this Cafe on a day trip in bath - and we jokingly remarked at the time that should be our wedding cake, if all else fails I may contact them but it's just the logistics of getting the cake from Bath to me if they agreed.

Ceremony music - had kind of decided but not 100% committed yet.

Evening music - were just doing iTunes on a laptop but wanted to put together a playlist which we still need to sort
    Suit for OH

I'm sure there's plenty more that I've not even thought of yet......:D
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• kdalwayskint
    kdalwayskint Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    18 days to go :eek:

I had my hen do this weekend, I'm so tired but it was fabulous :D overnight stay in a hotel with spa treatment, lunch, dinner and breakfast, also use of the facilities on both days included in the price £125, well worth it :T

The only disappointing thing about the weekend was the afternoon tea that I'd booked separately at the same hotel, 4 people let me down at the last minute and I very nearly had to pay for them :( I learnt something, if your booking something like that, get your friends to pay you before you go ahead and book.

We think we're about ready!

We've been trying to get music onto a CD this evening, I'm going to see if the IT tech at work can help, but if we really can't sort it out then we'll just get the register office to play classical, it's not going to stress us out!

Couple of other little bits to do, iron h2b and son shirts, email a list of songs we want during our disco, finalise evening buffet, put the sweets in the jars.

We're really excited too :D

Charlie792 I've added your date tho the first post :)
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • SavingAFuture
    SavingAFuture Posts: 141 Forumite
    53 days to go and still feels like we have a lot to sort out!

I always wanted a "DIY" wedding so I've taken on a lot in terms of decorations and stationery - now I can totally see why people choose to pay for this stuff! Yes it's saving us some cash but the time and effort it's taking me to get it all done it starting to overwhelm my life a little. I am trying to be practical by my OH is a bit of a perfectionist and made me cry when he pulled a face at the garland I'd made (I really need to get a grip haha).

However, this list makes me feel a bit better:
    Venue - booked & paid in full
    Car - booked & paid in full
    Dress - paid for, in for alterations until 8th June
    Caterer - booked, final numbers provided
    Photographer - booked, pre-wedding shoot done
    Hair & Make-up - booked, trials done
    Bridesmaids - dresses bought and fitted
    Groomsmen - suits chosen and ordered
    Florist - booked and final details confirmed
    Furniture - booked and hire details confirmed
    Table plan - sorted, table names printed

My "done" list is now significantly longer than my "To Do" list which is a nice feeling
    Wish me luck on the final countdown…

Best wishes,
    SaFx
  • kdalwayskint
    kdalwayskint Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    7 days to go! :eek:

Still have waves of excitement and nerves!

Annoyed at my son as he has not sorted shoes for the children, the only thing that I've asked him to do :mad:

I think we're pretty much there now, last few bits to be done:

This weekend
    Final play with make up
    Write out envelopes for things that need cash payment on the day
    Start getting cash for envelopes
    Hem grandson trousers

Wednesday
    Take CD to the register office
    Put sweets into the jars
    Wash and iron shirts

Thursday
    Collect cake
    Take decorations and cake to the rugby club
    Have nails done
    Wash hair

hope everyone else is getting on ok x
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    hey everyone , I'm back after a long hiatus.
    Wow , everyone's weddings are coming along nicely and coming so fast!
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
  • apricity
    apricity Posts: 198 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Hey Tilda!
    Wow that's really good! Wish I'd known this as we're paying £1,500 for a photographer but they do amazing work and I love her alternative style.

How much planning have you already done?

kdalwayskint, my wedding date needs to be changed to 21st September 2019 x
    :heartpuls Getting married 21.09.19 :heartpuls
    Emergency Savings - £15.55 / £1,000 :heart: XMAS '19 Savings - £0.00 / £365 :heart: Holiday savings - £6.00(SA) £00 (PB)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure