Help needed about pursuing a claim on Mortgage PPI bought from an independent financial adviser

Caz73
Caz73 Posts: 4 Newbie
Hello,
I wonder if anyone could offer any help. I used an Independent financial Advisor to organise a Mortgage in 2000 with my fianc!, now husband. I was also sold PPI on this which I was informed years later by a different mortgage adviser was sold to me unnecessarily as we were both already covered by our work. We both had a policy and it was with Legal and General. I tried pursuing this about six years ago but was told I couldn't pursue Legal and General as it wasn't sold by them, they informed me of this. I have recently applied to them again but got the same answer and advised to pursue the IFA directly. YEars ago I was informed as I bought before Two thousand and seven it was not regulated, I think IFAs. I firmly believe I was missold this and would like to move forward but was wondering if anyone could advise or been in this situation before?
THank you in advance

PS I should add that the IFA we bought from has retired as Director from the company. I did email the company with the new directors in Feb this year but no response.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Time to move on. It's pre-regulation.

There's also no point in repeatedly going to L&G. They didn't sell it to you, and the passage of time won't ever change that fact.
  • Caz73
    Is this regulation of financial advisers and what they sold? And as My policy was still active/ valid after 2007 would that make a difference? I was hoping I could perhaps apply with Plevin in mind at least.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Brokers weren't regulated until 2005.

Mis selling is all about the sale - how and when it was sold.
  • Caz73
    Thank you, I really appreciate this. Would it also apply to any commission claimed after this date though?
  • Caz73
    Thank you for all this. Lastly I was wondering if I can claim on the commission claimed after this date? Or is that back to the original date again?

Ps sorry I see this came up twice- thought it had not worked first time.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,027
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Would it also apply to any commission claimed after this date though?
    Plevin doesnt apply to policies sold by IFAs. Well technically it does but IFAs didnt take commission anywhere near the tipping point.

If it makes you feel any better, you probably were not missold. Whilst the financial need for it is lower than others, the FOS have been rejecting complaints where there is 12 months sick pay when it comes to MPPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure