Extended notice period query

Options
Hi

Our local authority service is currently in consultation with potentially 30 redundancies at the end of this period. We provide adult education classes.There is a mixed staff base- teachers, admin and management. Staff all have different notice periods- 1- 12 weeks- due to length of service. However the service is due to close at the end of this academic year and it has been said that notice will be issued on a staggered basis-those on the maximum notice period will get the 12 weeks notice period issued first. It will be done on a staggered basis to ensure there is minimum disruption to learners. I fully understand the rationale but effectively this means that many staff who would be entitled to just 1 or 2 weeks notice would be issued with their notice last- so they finish at the end of the academic year too.I think this disadvantages the longer service staff and is unfair-as staff are having their notice period extended effectively by it being staggered. I may as well have worked just a year or 2 as I would still be finishing at the same time as those who have only been here a year or 2. Is this not unfair?

Comments

• katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I don't think your employer is doing anything that breaks the law as everyone will be given their contractual notice. I can understand why it feels unfair and you could ask during the consultation if they can make a gesture to the staff with long employment histories but if they are not willing to pay everyone for their notice period in lieu of working them, then the staggered notice makes sense for the reasons you describe.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There is no extensions of any notice periods.

People will be given notice to finish on a particular day.

if the service is definitely closing(they can change their mind right or find suitable alternatives up to the last day and withdraw the redundancy) it would be silly to put everyone on notice of the shortest(notice) peson and have to pay PILON to others.

Far easier(for admin) to get everyone to finish having worked their notice and used up all their holidays.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Just noticed 30days consultation and 12weeks notice they may go into the holidays unless the consultation is nearly over.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On the basis that you are all aware of the situation now, you all have the same amount of notice. In practical terms whenever you get the official letter is of lesser significance in being able to make plans.
  • robbo2211
    Options
    Thank you for your helpful replies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills