Constantly straining one leg after running.

I've been running for years and never had any sort of injury from running before.

Last year in June I injured my back and couldnt run for about 9 months until it got better. Since then, I have strained my right hamstring after every run. It hurt for about week after running a 10km. I tried resting for a couple of months but as soon as I run the same thing happens again. I also noticed that my whole right leg is actually been overworked as it can sometimes take a full day more for my right leg to fully recover than it does for my left.

For example friday I ran 10km, today my left leg is fully recovered but my right still aches, including my calf and hamstring which again feels strained.

Anyone what I can do to fix this? I am obviously running and overworking my right side but dont how to stop!

Comments

• You need an assessment from a physio, we cannot tell you whats wrong over the internet. There is a wide range of potential causes. At a guess based on what you have said I would say your hamstring is compensating because your back never fully recovered and eventually breaks down as a result. But I cannot tell you where exactly and to what extent.

If you are not fixing the cause then all you are doing is waiting for the hamstring to get better and then putting it through exactly the same and it will just get injured again. Get it checked out by an expert, who can then tell you what the problem is and how to fix it.

For the time being stop running.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Agree with the above, you are somehow running in a way that’s causing a problem in your right leg, most likely to protect the part of yourself that you injured previously. Actually you’re kind of lucky that your body is telling you so clearly there’s a problem - often you don’t know until years later when the habit is ingrained. Totally agree you need to see a good sports physio to figure out what is going on, and then most likely a programme of stretches or some kind of running exercises to retrain your body into the correct gait.

Good luck!
  • Not saying a physio won't help, but if it's a gait problem I would want to see a podiatrist, not a physio.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    I think you are right I need to bite the bullet and see a physiotherapist. I have been stretching my back and legs everyday and I have seen and improvement but its still causing my problems and stopping me running as much or as fast as I want to.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,776
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I once had achilles tendonitis in one leg from playing football and it turned out that my pelvic girdle was out significantly (don't know why) but the physio manipulated it, gave me an exercise to correct it and with a bit of rest too I've never had a reoccurrence.

There are quite a number of potential reasons so off to the expert you should go!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hamstring problemss are most often a glute/ pelvic stability issue.

Nine months from June is March .... It is only April. You should not be running 10K, let alone aiming to run further and faster. Ligaments and tendons take much longer to strengthen in response to high impact exercise than muscles. Hence beginners programmes are run-walk with rest days.

Daily stretching can do more harm than good, depending what and how and when you are stretching. Sports massage/ self myofascial release may be more appropriate given the history of an injury. Have a proper movement assessment.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Start going to some Pilates classes. It will help if you strengthen your core and postural muscles which will then help you with any injuries you’re getting from strength imbalance and muscle imbalance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure