DPD lazy driver

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I ordered some Ugg slippers for my mum for Christmas and I paid extra to specify the delivery date as I knew I would be in all day. This is particularly important as I have an alcoholic neighbour who has a penchant for stealing anything valuable left with her and selling it to buy alcohol, she has stolen tickets left with her in the past and sold them on so I didn’t want her getting her hands on this parcel.
    The DPD driver didn’t even knock- just left the parcel with some random person over the road! First I knew was when I heard something come through the letterbox and it was a calling card. The usual driver knocks long and hard on the door as he knows I am hard of hearing- when I rang to complain the CS rep suggested ‘perhaps I hadn’t heard him knocking’ until I pointed out that my fiance has hearing like a bat (he often jumps out of bed because someone is knocking at our neighbour’s front door and thinks it’s ours- I can’t hear it) and he said categorically no-one knocked. Disappointed- I’ve usually found DPD to be good.
    So you really think the driver would deliberately deliver to a neighbour across the road then go to the trouble of writing and posting a card into your door rather than simply knock on your door in the first place. Get real.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2018 at 1:17PM
    Options
    Okay so you’re saying that he didn’t deliver it over the road?!
    Well I must be utterly mistaken that I walked over the road to collect it from the guy who lived over there. Must have dreamed it *rolleyes*
    The other possibility is that he never knocked on the door in the first place.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Well I must be utterly mistaken that I walked over the road to collect it from the guy who lived over there. Must have dreamed it *rolleyes*

I think the point being made was why would the driver arrive at your property then go straight to a neighbours house to drop off the package knowing that he would definitely have to spend more time writing out the card and then going to your door to drop off that card?

Where as if he went straight to your door and knocked, he might have been able to give you the package and drive away quicker.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Clearly I'm saying he must've knocked on your door in the first place, any other scenario doesn't make any sense for the driver.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do you have a doorbell? Is it working? (The driver may have pressed the doorbell rather than knocking - if it wasn't working then the scenario you encountered would make sense).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Do you have a doorbell? Is it working? (The driver may have pressed the doorbell rather than knocking - if it wasn't working then the scenario you encountered would make sense).

Oh I could tell stories. Like the old lady screaming at me as the 'doorbell hadnt worked for years'

Or the posh woman who berated me for not using the (hidden by ivy) second doorbell as "do you know how hard it is to hear the doorbell in an 8 bedroom house?"

Or the guy who swore the postie hadnt knocked in his tenement flat for his very important 9am Special delivery, when he came barging down to the office.
    Unfortunatly for him that postie was also me. I told him the colour of his door,the song playing on his radio,that his shower was running and described his neighbour who had passed me on the stair.
    Suddenly not knocking became not hearing.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Oh I could tell stories. Like the old lady screaming at me as the 'doorbell hadnt worked for years'

Or the posh woman who berated me for not using the (hidden by ivy) second doorbell as "do you know how hard it is to hear the doorbell in an 8 bedroom house?"

Or the guy who swore the postie hadnt knocked in his tenement flat for his very important 9am Special delivery, when he came barging down to the office.
    Unfortunatly for him that postie was also me. I told him the colour of his door,the song playing on his radio,that his shower was running and described his neighbour who had passed me on the stair.
    Suddenly not knocking became not hearing.

So custardy- be honest, maybe not you, but why do driver do this? i.e. not bother to knock.

Thing is I knew he didnt because my MIL saw the van pull up. He got out, took a picture and drove off. Didnt put a card through.

Only thing I can guess is he saw there were no cars on the drive and gave it up to save himself 60 seconds it would have taken to knock the door, wait, write out card etc

Its not the first time and I'm not the first person this has happened to.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • veggie_girl
    Options
    I had a similar issue with DPD recently in that the goods were ordered and marked to be left in a safe place.
    For 2 years DPD and others have been fine leaving them as instructed.
    Sods law the one time I really needed them on time DPD go insane, come to the door of the safe place, take a picture of it open as usual and take the goods back.
    This happens twice, the supplier can't speak to anyone at DPD and then the parcel is then left at a parcel shop and then returned to the supplier/

To make matters worse, you can nolonger speak to anyone at DPD as the phone lines are now automated systems.

Despite DPD and the supplier both promising an answer to the problem with 7 days, it never came and we don't know why they were being so difficult.

I did until recently work as part of a supplier using DPD. in most cases they were pretty good.
    However, every week we would spend lots of time chasing up DPD to see why the drivers had not delivered certain order and for most of these cases, they were just !!!!!!ing about with no sensible excuses.
    The firm did lose around £1000 of items per year that just went missing and dpd make it so hard to claim for errors. Often its cheaper to right it off than fill in all of the forms to claim it back.

Where DPD really fall down is the communication when things go wrong. Customers get annoyed, we wasted loads of time and lost stock was just written off.

There really is room for a good delivery company in the UK
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy often from Amazon prime and have never had a problem with DPD. Whenever I get the tracking advice from Amazon and its not with DPD I usually expect to experience problems especially with the Royal Mail who never leave parcels in elected safe places or neighbours.
  • fmargarit2012
    Options
    We bought a sideboard from ebay and returned it (it didn't fit well) in its original box, 2 days later by using a local private courier company.

The courier left the goods at UNIT 11 instead of Unit 10 as they were closed at 4:30 pm when the driver attempted to deliver. According to the Courier and the delivery note that they emailed me, the courier has left the item (very large box) with the next door neighbour (Unit 11) who signed for it – A.J.
    The shop’s manager we returned to goods to, doesn’t want to talk to myself or with the courier company’s manager who kindly wanted to help with this matter. She is screaming and she put the phone down on both of us stating there was no tracking number for her to follow up. I tried to call on few other occasions from my mobile but there is no answer from the other end. This is an ebay shop.
    I have attached couple of pics including the proof of delivery (the only note I have from the courier company).
    The shop won't refund our £400 as they have not received a tracking number for this delivery, nor they will go and check with the next door Unit neighbour for the parcel.

I contacted ebay for advice and unless I provide them with a tracking number the seller will win and not return our £400.

I have not instructed the courier to leave the goods at a different address. They had the correct details regarding the address and a telephone number if they wanted to contact the address given.
    According to them the item has been safely left with next door Commercial Unit neighbour. According to the seller - they never received the goods back.

We are caught in the middle and with approx £500 less in our pockets before Christmas (The courier company charged us £84 to deliver the goods).
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family