Penalty Charge Notice: NHS Prescriptions - wrongly given, what do I do???

Options
I received a PCN from the NHS Business Services Authority for:

Prescription Charges: £8.80

Penalty Charge: £44.00

Total Due: £52.80

It says on the front page "an automated check has shown that on or between 27th July 10`8 and 31st July 2018 I claimed A FREE NHS prescription.

It said I "submitted a claim named as a valid prescription prepayment certificate"

and I should pay by 6th November 2018.

I never made such a claim so what do i do?
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ask them for the evidence - there should be a prescription in your name with the back ticked to show a prepayment cert exists
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok, I usually pay by card. I have looked on my online statement and on 26th July I can see a payment for a prescription using my credit card. all sounds very strange
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    Options
    Do you think it is possible that the prescription was ticked in the exemption box by mistake? or were there 2 items and you only were charged for one?
  • trinidadone
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Do you think it is possible that the prescription was ticked in the exemption box by mistake? or were there 2 items and you only were charged for one?

Well if the prescription was ticked in the exemption box, it was not by me, as I paid, signed and left. No again, there was only one item, I know this, as I only have one item in my repeat prescription.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    Options
    You need to contact them.

Happened to me once long ago, said I had not paid for my prescription item when I should have. I was able to prove I had done no such thing. You might need to send a photocopy of your statement showing payment. But phone them first and see what is happening.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's no comfort, but this mistake should be harder for pharmacies to make.

That said anything depending on the internet has my abject sympathies.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK so you paid and at some time when the prescription was in the hands of the pharmacy someone accidentally or purposefully ticked that box. As a result,they have issued you a penalty.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • trinidadone
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    You need to contact them.

Happened to me once long ago, said I had not paid for my prescription item when I should have. I was able to prove I had done no such thing. You might need to send a photocopy of your statement showing payment. But phone them first and see what is happening.

Thanks for the advise.
  • trinidadone
    Options
    OK so you paid and at some time when the prescription was in the hands of the pharmacy someone accidentally or purposefully ticked that box. As a result,they have issued you a penalty.

Well I do not know at this stage if the pharmacy "accidentally or purposefully ticked that box" - but my original question is what to do next!!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could it be that the item was something like compression stockings that are charged for two items?

Either way, contact them tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll be sorted straight away. Please update us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure