New extractor fan hood. Am I ok to hardwire?

Options
Hi All,

I've just got a new extractor chimney hood to go above my oven as the old one packed up.

It comes with a plug but the old one is hard wired into the mains via a circular junction device.

Is it a simple and safe job for me to cut the plug and just hardware it in like the old one?

I've never done this before but have spoken to the guys at B&Q and they said it is basically one up from RE wiring a plug. Not particularly dangerous as long as I match up the wires which is obvious.

Obviously would be turning off mains then double checking with neon screwdriver etc.

The alternative would be to get an electrician but he would also have to remove the old unit and put the new one up as well as the wiring as I don't want to remove the old one and have exposed wires in the meantime.

I have an image of the junction connector but unsure how to attach - the current unit doesn't have an earth wire. I'm presuming the new plug does but unsure until I cut it open.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Easy swap , screwdriver and wire cutters , five minutes
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • jkwon
    jkwon Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Easy swap , screwdriver and wire cutters , five minutes

Can you elaborate a bit I've not done this before and a bit nervous!

The existing unit is controlled via a spur via the oven (I've only just discovered this after a year. It has a 5A fuse in it. Plug for new device has a 13A fuse. Is this relevant? And does it have any effect on the type of junction box
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jkwon wrote: »
    The existing unit is controlled via a spur via the oven (I've only just discovered this after a year. It has a 5A fuse in it. Plug for new device has a 13A fuse. Is this relevant? And does it have any effect on the type of junction box

If you can manage to wire a plug, wiring the extractor hood in is no more complicated. The fuse in the plug should be sized to suit the appliance, so a 5A one should have been fitted (or even a 3A fuse). Laziness on the part of the manufacturer.

As long as you match the wires up in the right order, you shouldn't have any difficulty. There are only three wires, so the scope to get it wrong is fairly limited.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • jkwon
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    If you can manage to wire a plug, wiring the extractor hood in is no more complicated. The fuse in the plug should be sized to suit the appliance, so a 5A one should have been fitted (or even a 3A fuse). Laziness on the part of the manufacturer.

As long as you match the wires up in the right order, you shouldn't have any difficulty. There are only three wires, so the scope to get it wrong is fairly limited.

Ok so just to confirm. The fuse in the spur is 5A. The fuse in the plug is 13A. But the plug won't be used as I am cutting that off and just using the wires.

Is that all OK or not relevant?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to double check - what does the new hood say its power consumption is in watts. Most are fairly low powered so a 5amp fuse will be fine, but better to be safe
  • jkwon
    Options
    100 watts with a n amp rating of 3A...?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    so a 3amp fuse should be fine
  • nofoollikeold
    Options
    You can do it, as described in various posts above. However, be aware that some manufacturers invalidate the warranty if you cut the plug off the wire to the appliance.

An alternative is to get some three core cable, a pattress and switched single socket. Mount the pattress near the existing junction box, cable from the junction box to the socket, and plug the appliance into the new socket.
  • jkwon
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    so a 3amp fuse should be fine

It's a 5 Amp fuse in the spur is that also OK?

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    jkwon wrote: »
    It's a 5 Amp fuse in the spur is that also OK?

A 5A fuse will be fine. A 3A would be better, but don't use the 13A - It is way to big for a low powered fan/light in an extractor hood.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure