Travellers face Eurostar disruption if there's no Brexit deal - MSE News

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    MSE_Callum wrote: »
    The papers are about what could happen if there's no deal as it says in the headline. Would it be more responsible to publish nothing - no possible outcome or possible scenario at all - until after it actually happens, or let people know, with caveats so they can prepare?
    Thank you for publishing this, and please carry on publishing stories like this, suggest you ignore the odd few whingers who seem to get very defensive at any hint that Brexit might have any negative consequence. We need to be prepared, just like with passports etc.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    zagfles wrote: »
    Thank you for publishing this, and please carry on publishing stories like this, suggest you ignore the odd few whingers who seem to get very defensive at any hint that Brexit might have any negative consequence. We need to be prepared, just like with passports etc.

I don't have any problem with it being published or with being prepared.
    It's the biased slant and sensationalism that irritates - it's like 'Project Fear' all over again!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's the millennium bug all over again.
  • zagfles
    I don't have any problem with it being published or with being prepared.
    It's the biased slant and sensationalism that irritates - it's like 'Project Fear' all over again!
    Sensationalist? Seriously?? It was "Travellers face disruption" and "Netflix might not work".

If you think that's "sensational" you need to get out more ;)
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2018 at 9:20AM
    The headline is actually what I take issue with. It's sensationalism at it's best.
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The sensationalism is in the headline.
    There's nothing particularly sensational about Callum's headline, which simply points out a definite possibility. Many people rely on the Eurostar service.

There is something particularly disturbing about the objection to such an article, a symptom of the extreme denial that anything negative about Brexit should be spoken or published.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jackieblack
    edited 13 October 2018 at 7:40AM
    eDicky wrote: »
    There's nothing particularly sensational about Callum's headline, which simply points out a definite possibility. Many people rely on the Eurostar service.

If the headline had been Travellers may face disruption or Travellers face possible disruption, then I would agree. But stating something as fact when it is only a possibility is sensationalism.

sensationalism
    sɛnˈseɪʃ(ə)n(ə)lɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    (especially in journalism) the presentation of stories in a way that is intended to provoke public interest or excitement, at the expense of accuracy.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2018 at 6:16PM
    Storm Callum :)
    Only jesting
  • zagfles
    edited 13 October 2018 at 10:50AM
    If the headline had been Travellers may face disruption or Travellers face possible disruption, then I would agree. But stating something as fact when it is only a possibility is sensationalism.

sensationalism
    sɛnˈseɪʃ(ə)n(ə)lɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    (especially in journalism) the presentation of stories in a way that is intended to provoke public interest or excitement, at the expense of accuracy.
    A few months ago the papers were full of headlines like "Travellers Face Chaos as French Air Traffic Controllers Strike Again!" I saw no chaos. But the headlines were useful to grab my attention and look for potential issues with my travel plans. I might not have noticed a headline saying "The occasional flight might be affected by possible air traffic strike".

The MSE headline is mild in comparison. Even includes an "if" and the article itself is full of "coulds" and "mays". Headlines are supposed to be attention grabbing, that's the point of them.

But if you don't like it, just stick your fingers in your ears and keep repeating "it's all Project Fear, it's all Project Fear...." ;)
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    eDicky wrote: »
    , which simply points out a definite possibility.)

Isnt "definite possibility" a bit of an oxymoron?
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • jackieblack
    zagfles wrote: »
    A few months ago the papers were full of headlines like "Travellers Face Chaos as French Air Traffic Controllers Strike Again!" I saw no chaos. But the headlines were useful to grab my attention and look for potential issues with my travel plans. I might not have noticed a headline saying "The occasional flight might be affected by possible air traffic strike".

The MSE headline is mild in comparison. Even includes an "if" and the article itself is full of "coulds" and "mays". Headlines are supposed to be attention grabbing, that's the point of them.

Headlines are supposed to be attention grabbing, yes, but they should also be accurate and honest.

If the headlines you saw about French Air Traffic Control had said "French Air Traffic Controllers strike again - disruption possible" it would have informed people who were travelling and prompted most independent thinking adults to check whether they might be affected equally as effectively as a more dramatic, but untrue/over exaggerated headline.

But I appear to be in the minority these days as I'm not one of those people who needs unnecessary drama in my life. I prefer facts. It's one of the reasons I don't buy newspapers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business