Argos blaming supplier and refusing to help.

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any advice on my predicement?

On 12th September I received a chest of drawers, purchased from the Argos website. On unwrapping it I found all the drawers to broken. I immediately contacted Argos and they agreed to pick up the broken furniture and send a replacement, telling me that I would contacted by their supplier, Consort Furniture, with a delivery date.

By the 21st September, I had not heard anything and so I contacted Argos again. They told me they had contacted the supplier, but had not heard anything back. I was unhappy with this and so told them that I wanted to cancel the order and get a refund. They said that was fine, but that the Consort Furniture would have to contact me with a date to pick up the broken item and that I would then have to contact Argos 3-4 days after collection to arrange the refund.

By 1st October, I had still not heard from Consort Furniture, so contacted Argos again. They told me that they had not heard from the supplier and that I should wait another week. On 8th October, I contacted Argos again and was told the same thing, and that I would not get a refund until the broken item was collected.

It is now a month since I received the broken item and I'm not sure what to do. My contract is with Argos, not their supplier. Surely it's there responsibility to arrange the pick up and refund. I feel like I'm being fobbed off as I keep being told that they're "waiting on there supplier". Argos have my money and I have an unusable chest of drawers! What should my next course of action be?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How much are we talking about and how did you pay?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Dawn015 wrote: »
    What should my next course of action be?
    Write a formal letter of complaint to Argos about the unacceptable delay. Tell them you are not prepared to be fobbed off by them continually putting the blame on their supplier.

If you still get no joy then you might consider approaching your credit card provider (assuming you paid by that means and the item cost more than £100).
  • £170 and I paid by Visa debit card.
  • Thanks. I'll give this a go.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Chargeback is a possible option to pursue, albeit isn't guaranteed to succeed as it is a voluntary scheme provided by Visa and Mastercard. (If you'd paid by credit card then you'd have had Section 75 protection, which has legal backing).
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Will the parts fit in your car?

If yes, take them to your local argos and dump them in store!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »

If yes, take them to your local argos and dump them in store!
    I'd only do this as a final resort..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport