External blue ray writer

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I don't have another computer as I use ios devices for a few years.
    That doesn't explain why you want to make copies onto blank Blu-ray discs. You don't need to do that if you just want to rip Blu-ray discs and store the resultant files on a hard disk.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Anyone advise capacity of UHD Blu Ray movies.
    Could be interesting attempting copy with my soon to be delivered Asus Blu Ray writer 6x

I want to purchase small amount of blanks discs from Amazon + uhd movie
    25GB seems to be most inexpensive though I don;t want to purchase 50/100/ etc if I don;t need additional storage

We are all confused as to why you want to purchase blank discs. Are you hoping to record HD material?
    It doesn't make much sense to buy Blu Ray discs, only to copy them to the same size and to another disc.. Usually you would 'rip' them from the original media, to a more manageable size and format.

You certainly don't want to place a 50 GB folder on your storage medium for each file.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    Refer to 7th Oct 18, 7:10 PM

I don't have any other reason or explanation.
    Thanks anyway
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2018 at 11:58AM
    Given the learning involved to make a perfect duplicate, and then the effort and time to make each one, it's still much, much cheaper and simpler to just buy another blu-ray.

Or, put up with a "lossy" copy during disk manufacture. But that's what you get with streaming. So back to square one. :D

Here's a list of software:
    https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-blu-ray-to-blu-ray-copy-software/

But be prepared, their promises are not backed by any guarantees and they know you can't demand refunds for a piece of software that breaks the law by using it.
    In practice, you need to plan for a lot of wasted attempts.
  • Dandytf
    abssorb wrote: »
    Given the learning involved to make a perfect duplicate, and then the effort and time to make each one, it's still much, much cheaper and simpler to just buy another blu-ray.

Or, put up with a "lossy" copy during disk manufacture. But that's what you get with streaming. So back to square one. :D

Here's a list of software:
    https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-blu-ray-to-blu-ray-copy-software/

But be prepared, their promises are not backed by any guarantees and they know you can't demand refunds for a piece of software that breaks the law by using it.
    In practice, you need to plan for a lot of wasted attempts.

Respect Absorb

I shall read and maybe enjoy the info you have chosen to refer to.

Maybe you could advise how important a 'decent' GPU is to use Blu Ray writer.
    All I know GPU wise via i3 laptop is intel integrated 620 chip can play h265 videos.
    If for example as Asus instruction pdf mentions a mid range Nvideo or Amd card is required, then my tach interest could be a non starter.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • wongataa
    Burning a Blu-ray disc does not require any GPU effort. it does not require a particularly powerful computer. Burning a disc is just writing data to a disc. The data is not accessed.

Watching a Blu-ray will require computer of some minimum spec to play it smoothly. Computers have been able to play Blu-ray discs for years without any issues. BTW Blu-ray video is encoded with h264. h265 is newer and used for 4k content.

It still appears that you have no need to burn Blu-ray discs though. From your original post you want to buy some Blu-ray discs from Amazon and rip them to a computer. Do you actually mean buy a film from Amazon Prime, download it, and burn it to a blank disc? If so then this is not so easy.
  • Dandytf
    edited 10 October 2018 at 6:48PM
    wongataa wrote: »
    Burning a Blu-ray disc does not require any GPU effort. it does not require a particularly powerful computer. Burning a disc is just writing data to a disc. The data is not accessed.

Watching a Blu-ray will require computer of some minimum spec to play it smoothly. Computers have been able to play Blu-ray discs for years without any issues. BTW Blu-ray video is encoded with h264. h265 is newer and used for 4k content.

It still appears that you have no need to burn Blu-ray discs though. From your original post you want to buy some Blu-ray discs from Amazon and rip them to a computer. Do you actually mean buy a film from Amazon Prime, download it, and burn it to a blank disc? If so then this is not so easy.

Hi Asus GPU recommendations were Nvideo 7600
    As an example not a neccesity, if I purchase a blue ray movie from Amazon-could I then with my writer play, burn and write to another blank BD or BL/BDXL disc as a single copy.
    Also I could in theory use writer to play and copy to external HDD -and use Makemkv -upload via Plex server and access and play movie via Plex App via Apple 4k t.v.
    As my write hasn't yet arrived , all I have done is play a blue ray mkv movie which another mser had kindly provided.
    From this I can Play movie via i3 laptop
    I have used another App to convert it into a format acceptable via Plex
    Uploaded the converted mkv to Plex server.
    Accessed and played via Apple 4k t.v. Via Plex App.

The question I have is could I in theory purchase my own movies from Amazon or whichever retailer and make my own Plex compatible file to upload to my Plex server -then access and play via Plex App -Apple 4kt.v.

I would only use this where the movie of my choice isn;t available to purchase through Apple store via Apple 4k t.v.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite

The question I have is could I in theory purchase my own movies from Amazon or whichever retailer and make my own Plex compatible file to upload to my Plex server -then access and play via Plex App -Apple 4kt.v.

I would only use this where the movie of my choice isn;t available to purchase through Apple store via Apple 4k t.v.

Yes you can, using the methods already discussed in this thread.

Just for clarity though, remember the term 'Blu-ray' only refers to the discs, not the movies or the resulting files of whatever format that you rip from the discs.
  • wongataa
    Hi Asus GPU recommendations were Nvideo 7600
    As an example not a neccesity, if I purchase a blue ray movie from Amazon-could I then with my writer play, burn and write to another blank BD or BL/BDXL disc as a single copy.
    Yes you could but why would you want to copy a Blu-ray disc to a blank Blu-ray disc? There is little point in doing this.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    wongataa wrote: »
    Yes you could but why would you want to copy a Blu-ray disc to a blank Blu-ray disc? There is little point in doing this.

Perhaps if they are purchasing as a digital download. Though still have no idea as to why they would want to put it on BluRay media.
    If they are purchasing BluRay media, then they want 'rip'/copy the content from the BluRay media to their HDD/SSD so that it can be streamed via Plex/Apple TV.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure