Wromg info on my Sons Birth certificate, mistake by registrar

Hi, i registered my sons birth last week and have just noticed a mistake by the registrar. I the father am the informant as i registered it but she out me down as the mother. Can i get this changed to father? Could cause issues in the future slthough not a biggy but a glaring mistake.
It shouldnt cost me as it is their mistake but what do i hsve to do?
Shall i return to the registry office can they change it there?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gunner786 wrote: »
    Hi, i registered my sons birth last week and have just noticed a mistake by the registrar. I the father am the informant as i registered it but she out me down as the mother. Can i get this changed to father? Could cause issues in the future slthough not a biggy but a glaring mistake.
    It shouldnt cost me as it is their mistake but what do i hsve to do?
    Shall i return to the registry office can they change it there?

Obviously and as soon as possible not leave it a while.
  • mad_spaniel
    mad_spaniel Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When I went to the Registrar to notify Mum's death, she spelled my surname wrong. I didn't notice immediately. When I did, I phoned the number for the Registrars. I was allocated another appointment. The registrar simply retyped the correct surname on her computer and printed out the same number of copies I'd originally paid for. I had to bring the incorrect certificates with me, so they could be destroyed. Technically, it looked as though I hadn't reported the death within the required time, but it caused no problems as it was their mistake.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Whenever I have registered a birth ( 4 times ) the register has printed the infrormation and got me to check it for inaccuracies. I have been infromed that as I have checked it any errors will be charged!

Not sure if you had the same.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds as if the registrar needs to go immediately to Specsavers
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    kirtondm wrote: »
    Whenever I have registered a birth ( 4 times ) the register has printed the infrormation and got me to check it for inaccuracies. I have been infromed that as I have checked it any errors will be charged!

Not sure if you had the same.

I had the same when we registered our daughter on the 2nd they said correcting any details is quite difficult
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • gunner786
    gunner786 Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    K guys i went back today. No 12 still says mother but bottom of the certificare they added a note "in space 12 mother corrected to father on 17th july.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    That sounds sloppy. This is an official document which will be essential throughout your child's life. If it was me, I would insist that it be corrected immediately there and then, if they won't, I'd raise it with my MP.

This is a legal document and could have unknown ramifications years down the line.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    If your name is down in the 'mother' field, where is the actual mother's name?

I agree with above, this sort of thing seems inconsequential now, but could be a massive headache for your son in his adult life, especially if he ever decides to live in a non-English speaking country, where they may struggle to understand what happened.

Demand a proper, correct birth certificate for your child.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    From here

https://www.gov.uk/correct-birth-registration

Adding a note on the original entry is correct.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    Bossypants wrote: »
    If your name is down in the 'mother' field, where is the actual mother's name?

I agree with above, this sort of thing seems inconsequential now, but could be a massive headache for your son in his adult life, especially if he ever decides to live in a non-English speaking country, where they may struggle to understand what happened.

Demand a proper, correct birth certificate for your child.

it won't be wrong in the mother / father field - just the status of the informant (which is another field)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure