Cutlery Set Advice

Hi everyone, I'm moving into a new home next week and buying a few things. Wondered if anyone could help/benefit from a bit of research I've been doing.

My requirements are a robust set of 24 (6x knifes, forks, spoons, teaspoons); stainless steel; one continuous material (no plastic, wooden, or fixed metal handles - as I think these always fail eventually); dishwasher safe.

Best things I've found so far:
BEHAGFULL, IKEA, £29.00 (Might as well start with IKEA as I think they're kinda the go-to for most buyers)
Mirage, Arthur Price, £43.00 (These are a favourite on John Lewis so I assume good quality, but available cheaper at Wayfair)
Viners, SOLAR 18/0 32 Piece set, £24.00 (this is a 32 piece, so an additional 6 soup spoons. Viners give a 25yr guarantee on their cutlery)
Viners, Tabac 26pc, £37.00 (two additional serving spoons. Viners seem to come well-reviewed and these are a more attractive set than the SOLAR range, IMO).

I'm leaning towards the SOLAR set, as they're relatively really cheap and come with extras. They're on 50% discount. I'm not such a fan of them aesthetically and wondering if they're a bit less substantial than their other ranges (I like a heavier handle).

The Arthur Price set looks a bit better to me and I think might be worth the extra cost.

Can anyone share any insight into this for me? Thanks!

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Aldi have a set in as a special buy, £16 I think.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You really need to go and weigh these out in your hand

I have a few canteens of cutlery (Pressies and passed down) one it sat there and never used as I don't like the size and the weight

Both my Viners are used but my everyday cutlery is from Ikea. Thats the stuff that's bunged in the drawer and pieces go missing from being chucked in the bin when clearing plates or taken to work and forgotten,

My Viners are counted in and out :)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    suki1964 wrote: »
    You really need to go and weigh these out in your hand

I have a few canteens of cutlery (Pressies and passed down) one it sat there and never used as I don't like the size and the weight

Both my Viners are used but my everyday cutlery is from Ikea. Thats the stuff that's bunged in the drawer and pieces go missing from being chucked in the bin when clearing plates or taken to work and forgotten,

My Viners are counted in and out :)

We're like you.

Ikea DRAGON day to day and the Arthur Price canteen (wedding present) for best :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    If you intend to get a dishwasher, you'll need to double up on the quantity of cutlery and you can never have too many teaspoons! If you go for a classic Viners design, you can always add to it and they often have offers on their official site.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Try and get 18/10 stainless steel, it has more nickel than the other two grades that cutlery uses and will be more rust resistant.
  • Jrd646
    Jrd646 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Yeah, it looked great and I thought so too! But on closer inspection it's got plastic handles. :-/
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I bought a set of WMF cutlery.
    Expensive but very good in weight and longevity.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I bought a cutlery set from Marks and Sparks before I got married 1971 still using it today - not sure what the handles are but not stainless steel, they are white with a pattern on. Bought it to match our crockery which is all broken apart from a couple of saucers lol.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I bought my cutlery at T K Maxx...
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I recently need to buy some extra cutlery without breaking the bank and came to the conclusion that buying online is a bit risky as far as quality is concerned. Price does not always indicate the quality but there are some bargains on-line compared with the shops. I tried to find the thickness dimensions but very few sites have this information. I liked the shape of a 48 piece set of Swan Nista from Groupons and got 10% for submitting a sign up email.
    https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/swan-nista-48-piece-cutlery-set-2
    As somebody said above you cant have too many teaspoons and the set came with twelve as well 8 place setting and four servers.
    The Amefa Modern Sure 32 Piece 8 Person Cutlery set came a close second for me and you can view this in Argos before buying at about £32.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure