Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• A3402789
    Options
    I had a similar problem with we swap. They took the money that I had loaded on the card, and would not give it back. Customer service says "it's lost". So does anyone know how to deal with this company? Anybody take them to small claims court and win?:eek:
  • poppysmum58
    Options
    We have had nothing but trouble with this card. Managed to open the account and transfer a small amount and get the bonus but numerous attempts to top up all failed. Firstly they kept blaming the bank, and me as they could not verify the address associated with my card - despite it being the same one that I had previously used. Eventually they admitted the fault was at their end. I gave it a week or so and tried to top up again - again without success. They finally admitted they were having a lot of problems. I therefore asked them to refund the money. This had to be done via the app which was not an easy process and took me and my husband half an hour or so plus a phone call from someone who claimed he was a director but in reality is nothing more than the call centre manager before we could transfer the money back to my account. Despite promising it would be instant, we have to wait 1-2 working days for this to happen. I have now uninstalled the app and will be taking travellers cheques instead.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    We have had nothing but trouble with this card. Managed to open the account and transfer a small amount and get the bonus but numerous attempts to top up all failed. Firstly they kept blaming the bank, and me as they could not verify the address associated with my card - despite it being the same one that I had previously used. Eventually they admitted the fault was at their end. I gave it a week or so and tried to top up again - again without success. They finally admitted they were having a lot of problems. I therefore asked them to refund the money. This had to be done via the app which was not an easy process and took me and my husband half an hour or so plus a phone call from someone who claimed he was a director but in reality is nothing more than the call centre manager before we could transfer the money back to my account. Despite promising it would be instant, we have to wait 1-2 working days for this to happen. I have now uninstalled the app and will be taking travellers cheques instead.

Travellers cheques?

Really?! :eek:
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This failure of the AVS (Address Verification) security feature has been reported here before, but it's a rare occurrence. The only sure solution is probably to use a different debit card (or bank transfer) to top up. Having only one bank account and debit card to rely on for domestic use is not an ideal situation, and regressing to an attempted use of traveller's cheques is probably the worst solution. I think you'll find that the withdrawal by sending funds from Revolut to your bank can take up to five working days.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • geckweenia
    Options
    Hi folks, ive read a lot today but the info won't go in! Can anyone help me get my head round the best course of action for my Mexican holiday next week (I know, I only just discovered my debit card fees were as bad as they were, where I thought they were ok!)

So ive applied for the Clarity Credit card and intend to pay it off in full upon my return. I also understand I will need a lot of cash in $ for tipping etc at our resort (a confusing concept for us brits!) so im thinking a prepaid might be best for lifting the cash once there to budget/control.

Is this utter nonsense or? Help my scrambled brain! Thanks in advance MSEForumites x
  • Beckye71
    Options
    Hi can anyone recommend a prepaid travel card for an under 18? My 17 old is going travelling and this seems the ideal method of payment but you seem to have to be 18 to apply for the majority. thanks
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    geckweenia wrote: »
    Hi folks, ive read a lot today but the info won't go in! Can anyone help me get my head round the best course of action for my Mexican holiday next week (I know, I only just discovered my debit card fees were as bad as they were, where I thought they were ok!)

So ive applied for the Clarity Credit card and intend to pay it off in full upon my return. I also understand I will need a lot of cash in $ for tipping etc at our resort (a confusing concept for us brits!) so im thinking a prepaid might be best for lifting the cash once there to budget/control.

Is this utter nonsense or? Help my scrambled brain! Thanks in advance MSEForumites x

Use the Clarity to take cash from the ATM and use that to tip.
  • KenMavor
    KenMavor Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What bank are you with?

I have used the Revolut card in many instances in many countries but the very first time I tried to top it up my bank, Clydesdale, would not accept the transfer. Once it was all sorted it has worked fine ever since. It does work very well I find but sometimes getting that first transfer working is a pain.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KenMavor wrote: »
    What bank are you with?
    Several, UK and other, but not Clydesdale. I always use a debit card to top up Revolut, not a transfer, and never had any problem.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • stingrayj
    stingrayj Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what load rate Caxton fx apply? Been using one for years and travel a lot, but can't find the info, thanks, as think may no longer be competitive
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback