Offline tariffs

How can a person find the best energy tariffs suitable for someone who has no internet access, wants paper billing and does not want a smart meter fitted? I have tried to use a comparison site but the best deals are either linked through the site or with an on-line account only or if you apply you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted. The mse energy club is obviously based on-line too. I am an advocate for older people and come accross a number who cannot manage the computer/ internet way of life. Any ideas? Perhaps I should ask for reply by snail mail but I haven't got any SAE's to hand!

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was with you up to the ridiculous smart meter thoughts.

Surely older people are the ideal customer for one so they don't have to bother submitting reads themselves. Try to advocate what is best for them.

And yes use a comparison site but don't expect to be choosing the best deal, just those that match your criteria. May as well just get them off the standard tarrif to be honest, no switching, cheaper, job done. (Since moving them to a smalelr supplier is going to be bad for them if they ever need help).
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Next you will be saying you don't want to pay by direct debit as you don't trust the banks!

Or was that my grandfather.

A smart meter deal sounds suitable for them. First and last time I will probably say that! This decade anyway

Choose a big supplier. One you consider cheap in your area. Goto their website direct and check out non internet deals.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    How can a person find the best energy tariffs suitable for someone who has no internet access, wants paper billing and does not want a smart meter fitted? I have tried to use a comparison site but the best deals are either linked through the site or with an on-line account only or if you apply you are agreeing to have a smart meter fitted. The mse energy club is obviously based on-line too. I am an advocate for older people and come accross a number who cannot manage the computer/ internet way of life. Any ideas? Perhaps I should ask for reply by snail mail but I haven't got any SAE's to hand!

That s easy - you find a friend, family CAB who can help. Your alternative is to ring all of the 60 or 70 energy suppliers and ask them for their options. If you have never switched you are likely to save 100's of £'ss a year and that is worth some effort.

I agree with Carrot007 and AndyPK - you are an ideal candidate for Smart Meters.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    I don't see why anybody wouldn't want a smart meter fitted, unless they don't want anybody to enter their home or something like that. 1st gen smart meters are a waste of money overall, sure, but to an individual user it makes no difference.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, older, more senior people would be the ideal candidate for smarts, BUT....-

I can see why smart meters are not wanted - what happens when the switcher switches at the end of their fix and the so called smart meter becomes dumb and has to be manually read?

A lot of the older generation may not be able to get down to where the meter is situated in order to supply a read and so will not want one of the 1st gen things currently being rushed out - if they ndo get one of these put in then they are stuck with whoever put the things in unless they get changed again by the next supplier (total waste of money).

Would cost an absolute fortune to write to each and every supplier with your query - cost of stamps, paper, envelope, etc etc - and you would probably wait a month or three or four for all the replies.

You could try going to the local library and use their internet facilities and look up each and every supplier, find a contact email for each and email each one with your query - be free but would take a bit of time, though.
  • Robin9
    D_M_E wrote: »
    A lot of the older generation may not be able to get down to where the meter is situated in order to supply a read and so will not want one of the 1st gen things currently being rushed out - if they ndo get one of these put in then they are stuck with whoever put the things in unless they get changed again by the next supplier (total waste of money)..

Yes I agree but this is where the children and grandchildren come in - they are tech savvy (and that's not saying seniors are not) and can help granny and granddad. They can also crawl under the stairs.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think there is any way to comprehensively compare different prices without using a comparison website. You just need to get the relevant information from the people you are trying to help (current supply details, their annual energy usage etc.) and then find the best deal you can for them by looking on the comparison websites for them.

You just have to accept that the best deals won't necessarily be available, as you will be limited to those that aren't online only tariffs, and those that aren't available only via switching websites. Filter them out then once you find some prices, you can give the people the information compared to their current costs, and they can just phone up the supplier directly to switch.
  • Robin9
    edited 13 August 2018 at 11:09AM
    Don't forget also

1) that tariffs vary by what part of the country you are in.
    2) the mix of standing charge and consumption can be significant - some tariffs suit low users, others high users.

Senior helper - just use a comparison site
  • The reason re smart meter was that a particular client had heard a few experiences which were rather off putting. A relative had instructed a company to remove her meter as her readings had gone up since smart meter was installed. Understandably this person was not keen but I do appreciate your comments.
  • Thank you for all comments - much appreciated. I did use comparison site for one individual and then phoned a couple of suppliers - waiting for ages in queues. The results were quite similar to that offered by the current supplier, some 30+% increase on the previous tariff. I was originally called in to help because the person couldn't understand comments in a phone call from his current supplier, they had a Scottish accent and the customer has hearing difficulties especially using the phone. An ideal person to get broadband supply, a smart phone and a smart meter fitted! Some you just can't win.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure