PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• Morning all,

Fuddle I'm glad the yoghurt worked. Mrs LW I never knew that you could 'sour' plant milks the same way as animal milks that is really useful!

As for cake, I love it but I don't often have it when out. I can never tell which cakes are fresh and which have been sitting, which cakes will be too sweet and which will be perfect so I tend to stick to my own baking which has also been curtailed a bit. I have found some lovely low fat recipes although nothing yet that is absolutely perfect. I'd like to try the lemon and courgette recipe on the national trust website but wondering if I can substitute half the oil for apple sauce. It isn't too bad as it is but that would make it much better....
  • FPK you should be able to substitute ALL the oil with apple sauce, I've used a fat free recipe for a Christmas cake that used pureed prunes instead of any fat and it was lovely, moist, lovely texture to 'bite' and kept pretty well too! give it a go with the apple sauce you might find you like the taste better than cakes made with oil or fat. Keep the finished cake in the fridge, it will last longer there than at room temperature. Let us know if it works if you do try it?
  • Thanks Mrs LW, I might give that a go this weekend. Just in time to add the courgettes to the shopping list :D
  • I've just been to the Co-Op for some fruit and got a shock when I got the usual own brand fat free Greek yoghurt that I normally get from them, in the past couple of months the price has gone up from £1, to £1.05., to £1.15 and today it's up to £1.35p now I know we're having problems because of the weather and the heat which might account for some of it but I wonder how high it has to go before people stop buying it? I'm close to it now as it's a 500ml tub and I can probably make my own plain but not Greek yoghurt for much less than that and then strain it to get the Greek consistency. I wonder how many other of us feel like we're being rooked by the retailers?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Welcome Vegpatch and Donkey (I love donkeys:))

Squiggly Diddly How lovely to see you, I always enjoyed your posts! it sounds as if RL has been extremely busy for you. Are you still doing what I will refer to as your very enjoyable rhythmic hobby? :D

Monnagran So glad you are having a happy time xx

Oh dear nursemaggie, that does sound just like Virgin Media. I remember our neighbour having problems with his phone and broadband when he was their customer; he had to keep coming over to borrow our phone to try and get things sorted, as it was the only way he could contact them!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Lyn I did notice yesterday on a poster outside the Co-Op that their "Fresh 3" which was always 69p each, is currently 69p, 79p and 89p (i.e. one item at each price iyswim) I don't buy the yogurt so hadn't noticed that.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Hello, I'm back and nearly mended:wave:

I have a delicious bottle of Forest gin...…. well there's a bit left:o

Anything exciting happening?
    Will read back but it looks as though I will have to tread carefully and take a shovel and poo bags.
    Where on earth have all these animals come from? Last time I looked there was just one elephant!
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wonder how many other of us feel like we're being rooked by the retailers?

Or the guvmint?

They tell me inflation is 3% or less when increasing my pension but when I check my expenditure Excel tells me differently.

unleaded petrol
    14/08/17 £1.139 per litre
    6/09/17 £1.149 per litre

On Thursday in local bigger town it was £1.319 - no, not a typo!:eek:

3% my 4rse.

Sorry - rant over: I'm away to doze in the background.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Welcome back Doveling, don't worry about all the animals, Mardatha has... thinned the herd.

MrsLW, I worked out a bit back how much ordinary yoghurt I'd have to strain to get greek and it didn't work out for me here, but prices on milk may be different there. It's a bit different for us now since we buy a lactose free greek yoghurt that doesn't have thickeners, and there's only 1 brand.

Prices never cease to astonish me, they can shoot up here literally overnight. One day avocados are 2 for $3, the next day they're $2.50 each... and it's the same bloody pile of avocados. Don't even get me started on the rest. My husband grimaces when I climb up on that particular soap box! I think the problem isn't so much how prices are going up, but it's how for most of us income is staying the same or decreasing. Previously, both went up a bit as time went on.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the links Softstuff I will save them for when I have got to the weight I want to be. Have been doing this way of eating for about 6 weeks and have lost over a stone, I can now see a glimmer of a waist :D A long way to go, but it's a start :j

The Red Arrows and fireworks were great last night, it was like the clouds parted just in time :D

Hubby is making Chicken Kiev for dinner, one of his signature dishes, with salad for me and some new potatoes for him.

Enjoy your weekend all x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family