PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Current property owner and first time buyer - help to buy conflict

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    Regarding my views, they are irrelevant as the current legislation is in place - these do change so will see what happens in the future. Also, my view on this issue about property investment and implications for SDLT and help to buy are not solely focused on him but should apply to every UK citizen. I personally feel they should have the opportunity (if they are in the position to do so) to be able to get assistance on first residence property and not have additional SDLT on second property purchase (as an investment). Not everyone wants to invest the majority in the stock market with main investments etc. Maybe you think it would be fair if he (or similar people) had a few million and had 10+ properties then he could set up a company for the properties and not have to pay additional SDLT and have access to superior lending options? The government seems to be squeezing the small investor and giving advantage to the big players. Personally, I do not think it is fair for the average hard working British Joe just trying to progress.

Regardless of peoples current political views on UK real estate policies, I'm here looking for actual technical answers to address the question only. So lets not digress.
    Rubbish, it's clear you have no clue about the legislation. Your borther is free to setup a company even with 1/2 a property, doesn't need 10. But I suggest you double check the SDLT and mortgage rates for companies, before commenting. He is not paying additional SDLT, he is not eligible for relief to reduce the tax due.

You are complaining that the Gov is squeezing the "small investor", giving advantage to the "big investors" which is simply untrue, while simultaneously whining why the Gov made the rules to favour genuinely first time buyers lookign for a home, over investors like your brother ho already has one. What a hypocrisy.

"Technical" answers:

Re HTB Equity loan:
    HTB equity loan is designed for people who can't save for a deposit, because the prices keep rising faster than their wage, and need HELP TO BUY.
    Your brother is not one of these people since he already have equity in another property.
    Even under these circumstances he can use equity loan if he disposes of the existing property.
    Which part of this is unfair?

Re SDLT relief:
    Again it was designed to help the poor bu**ers that can barely scrounge for a deposit and yet alone tax. One of the reasons it's not available for properties over £500k
    Your brother is not one of these individuals, he already has a property, the fact that he chose to let it out instead of living in it is irrelevant.

Re his GF:
    All of the above are available to her should she decides to buy alone. Since she wants to buy a property jointly with a well off individual, the above are not available to her.
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Rubbish, it's clear you have no clue about the legislation. Your borther is free to setup a company even with 1/2 a property, doesn't need 10.

I never said he could not set up a company but there is really no point to do that. I do not see any advantage in that? I think it is actually 15 needed to qualify? Certainly out of his reach. He simply wants one future residential property to live in the future and keep one investment property. That is all.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What makes you think he still owns that?

Oh, I forgot your just cherry picking points you want to read. Silly of me. Thanks for your help.:beer:

Sorry I am not reading anymore of your posts, following your lead, as it is just green eyed envy nonsense. Clearly not a real estate investor and happy for overseas investors to dominate the landscape instead of been concerned about UK investors. Ciao.

That's short enough to read. I've cherry picked what is relevant, which is virtually nothing.

It doesn't matter if he still owns it. It's simple maths. He has already owned two properties so he's not a first time buyer.

You're good at making things up to suit you. There's 13 years and enough evidence of my experience of property developing written on these boards to fill several books. The evidence also shows what I've gained and learned in that time. There's also clear evidence of integrity.

People with less money love to whine about how people with more money have it good. It doesn't matter if you have 79p or £79 million. Someone else has always got it easier.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ah the old classic asks for advice, rejects all advice that give the answer he doesnt want to hear approach, brilliant.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I never said he could not set up a company but there is really no point to do that. I do not see any advantage in that? I think it is actually 15 needed to qualify? Certainly out of his reach. He simply wants one future residential property to live in the future and keep one investment property. That is all.

Which he can have but not using HTB EL and not whilst avoiding the higher rate of SDLT. The small time property investor is exactly the sort of person the change in taxation is supposed to deter so like it or not the legislation is doing what it is supposed to be doing.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Qualify for what?

He already has a residential property, the fact he opted to let it out, instead of living in it is irrelevant. No one is stopping him from keeping the current "investment" property and buying a new property to live in. People are doing that all the time. Just stop whining there is no tax relief in his case.

Emphasis on tax RELIEF, significant difference from what you clam - having to pay higher "punishing" tax.
  • Goldcrypto
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Which he can have but not using HTB EL and not whilst avoiding the higher rate of SDLT. The small time property investor is exactly the sort of person the change in taxation is supposed to deter so like it or not the legislation is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

I agree that is certainly will be working, especially for many retired couples her were maybe thinking about an investment property. However, more should be done for overseas investors. I have quite a few East Asian friends that are certainly enjoying the current state.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 12:09PM
    I'm getting the feeling I've read this posters threads before,not maybe under this user name but he's as insistent as the guy yesterday with the renovation project and how to sell it off to multiple targets.

I believe there are a few posters who ae under the impression we all need a little summer entertainment....don't rise to them

The housing boards seem to be dominated at the moment by a few posters who seem fixated about their thread being read and at the top of page 1.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Goldcrypto
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    That's short enough to read. I've cherry picked what is relevant,

It doesn't matter if he still owns it. It's simple maths. He has already owned two properties so he's not a first time buyer.

Does not matter if he is not a first time buyer. Government assistance loan and no extra SDLT is available for everyone as long as do not own another property. That aspect has nothing to do with not been a first time buyer.

Although, I am failing to see what your posts add here? They are looking at options available to them under the current framework. So no help with question!

W Buffett
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi,
    I think you are overestimating the benefit of the help to buy equity loan in your brothers situation. It is designed to help people stretch to a property that they could not otherwise afford and it sounds like your brother can afford up to the maximium value.

After 5 years interest becomes payable. If you buy the extra portion you pay 20% of the current value so if the value has gone up the 20% will cost more. It is also only available on new builds cutting down buying options. New builds often fall in value and we often see threads on here of people that want to sell their second hand new build but can't due to negative equity.

Re post 10 : your brother would not have been able to use the help to buy equity loan if it had existed as it cannot be used for a property to be let out.

To benefit from the stamp duty exemption and help to buy, your brother's girlfriend can buy alone. Your brother could invest in other things. If they marry in the future both properties will be in the melting pot of assets.

I take your point about big business evading tax but I think when there is a shortage of properties to provide homes it is fair enough that the government isn't providing assistance for people to have two.

Tlc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport