Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• LukeSadler05
    LukeSadler05 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2016 at 12:31PM
    I'm off travelling next month for hopefully 18-24 months. Heading out to Asia & OZ/NZ and just trying to work out the best way to manage my money whilst away. I'm expecting I'll be spending anything from £800-£1500 with at a guess 2/3 withdrawals and 1/3 card transactions. Having read through a fair few pages on here and also a couple of the recent guides on this site and a couple of others I've come to a conclusion that the best way would be a Revolut pre-paid card coupled with a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. Using the Revolut to withdraw £500 a month in cash, and then using the credit card for any purchases and any additional withdrawals I may need each month. Pay off the withdrawals on the credit card ASAP to minimize the interest charged.

Would you say that's correct and the best way to go? or would anyone recommend anything else?

Also, I've not applied for the Halifax CC yet but lets say for arguements sake I get declined for one, what would you recommend as an alternative for a second card/account to take with me. As I say I've read several guides and articles and the other ones that seem to come up a lot are the Ice Travellers Cashcard, a current account with Metro or Norwich & Peterborough or a normal pre-paid card with FairFX/Caxton.

Have to admit this whole thing has boggled my mind so any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    I'm off travelling next month for hopefully 18-24 months. Heading out to Asia & OZ/NZ and just trying to work out the best way to manage my money whilst away. I'm expecting I'll be spending anything from £800-£1500 with at a guess 2/3 withdrawals and 1/3 card transactions. Having read through a fair few pages on here and also a couple of the recent guides on this site and a couple of others I've come to a conclusion that the best way would be a Revolut pre-paid card coupled with a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. Using the Revolut to withdraw £500 a month in cash, and then using the credit card for any purchases and any additional withdrawals I may need each month. Pay off the withdrawals on the credit card ASAP to minimize the interest charged.

Would you say that's correct and the best way to go? or would anyone recommend anything else?

Also, I've not applied for the Halifax CC yet but lets say for arguements sake I get declined for one, what would you recommend as an alternative for a second card/account to take with me. As I say I've read several guides and articles and the other ones that seem to come up a lot are the Ice Travellers Cashcard, a current account with Metro or Norwich & Peterborough or a normal pre-paid card with FairFX/Caxton.

Have to admit this whole thing has boggled my mind so any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Revolut wouldn't be my first choice.Only as an emergency backup. Rates aren't always on point.
    I would prefer Creation Everyday and Halifax Clarity. One for purchases and the other for ATM withdrawals. Clear the cash advances asap via online banking.. You can leave the purchases to direct debit.
  • Thanks for the reply Nifty, I was hoping to get one of those 2 (both would be ideal then) alongside the Revolut card.

My issue is more if I don't get accepted for one of those cards due to credit reasons or any other reason, what would anyone suggest as the next best option?
  • NiftyDigits
    Thanks for the reply Nifty, I was hoping to get one of those 2 (both would be ideal then) alongside the Revolut card.

My issue is more if I don't get accepted for one of those cards due to credit reasons or any other reason, what would anyone suggest as the next best option?

Next port of call would be Cumberland Plus(if you are within the catchment area) or the N&P Gold Classic account.
    Failing that, Revolut is a whole lot better than nothing.
  • Thanks again, I'll give them a go in order of Halifax, creation, n&p then as I'm not in the catchment area for the other

One last question if you don't mind... Is there anything to stop one of my folks taking out a revolut account and giving me the card and then topping up £500 a month for me? Would obviously then give me double the charge free allowance.
  • NiftyDigits
    Thanks again, I'll give them a go in order of Halifax, creation, n&p then as I'm not in the catchment area for the other

One last question if you don't mind... Is there anything to stop one of my folks taking out a revolut account and giving me the card and then topping up £500 a month for me? Would obviously then give me double the charge free allowance.

Nothing to stop that happening. Bear in mind that Revolut doesn't always offer the 'perfect' exchange rate and that it is best to avoid the ATMs in Thailand. Now there is a country that seems to like shooting itself in the foot.
  • I have previously used pre paid cards from Tesco and Money Shop (Cashplus Euro Card). I love the convenience of these cards, but looking to swap to another one due to the ATM fees for Cashplus Card, also not being able to withdraw any leftover euros. I have a very small amount - about 30 euros - on the Cashplus card, but have been told I cannot cash this out in this country, and will have to do this abroad.

I am going to Spain in three weeks, and looking to load the card with around £500 - £700. I have been looking at different cards and see that Revolut is recommended,and does not charge for ATM withdrawals up to 500 euros per month, but I cannot see what their current exchange rate is. Would I need to download the app before I can find out their rate?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    clareski wrote: »
    I am going to Spain in three weeks, and looking to load the card with around £500 - £700.
    The Cashplus euro card..? It's the worst value - don't do it! Just spend the balance while in Spain and abandon it.

Revolut uses the ideal interbank rate (slightly off on weekends) updated every half second. You can see it on the app or the mid-market rate shown on xe.com is more or less the same.

You may be able to top-up Revolut with your remaining balance on the Cashplus card (directly in euros) - worth a try, at no cost.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Thanks eDicky, I have applied for the Revolut card and loaded it with £500, using the MSE code so they balance is £505.

When do I convert to euros? I have been trying to work out how to do it!! Do I wait to see if the rate is better in the week rather than a weekend?

Thanks for your help.
  • NiftyDigits
    clareski wrote: »
    Thanks eDicky, I have applied for the Revolut card and loaded it with £500, using the MSE code so they balance is £505.

When do I convert to euros? I have been trying to work out how to do it!! Do I wait to see if the rate is better in the week rather than a weekend?

Thanks for your help.

Yes.......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport