PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can't ..... mooooove.

I tasted the chilli and it didn't pack any punch, so I lobbed in a couple of tablespoons of chilli powder in the final hour or so.

Served with basmati rice - TWICE. I was full after the first helping ... but you know how it goes when something tastes nice... so I had seconds.

... but ... can't moooooove!

Still raining here...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Rain arrived and likes it so it has settled in

Lunch was as planned, baguette etc. Then I had one of my figs, it has wizened a bit, my it was sweet & lovely, better than fresh off the tree, not sure why that works, concentrates the sugars or summat?

I picked the blackberries just as rain was starting, thinking I'll freeze them and decide later what to do. But they are starting to taste a bit musty now, so left most. The heat has ruined my cultivated blackberries, the Merton Thornless are just black nobbly bullets and the Thorn Free taste musty. But the apples are looking lush, so apple crumble only.

The change in weather has given my runners a new sparkle, more flowers out & bees busy, depending what i find once I'm back from Plymouth they may get a reprieve.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,051
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Glad the courgette pie was ok Caronc i was going to try it tonight but my sister popped in for a quick cuppa and stayed two and a half hours as one does :rotfl: I had planned to do some batch cooking to use all the filo, maybe tomorrow as I have the ingredients. My sister did leave having raided my cupboard for ingredients so she could make a couple of new recipes this week, and she knew I would have them :cool: just call me Mrs T :rotfl:

We haven't had heavy rain today, just drizzle which has lasted most of the day, sun seems to be trying to break through now :)

Lunch was jacket potato with HM coleslaw and cheese. Dinner will now be steak, asparagus, new potatoes and beans

Have a good break in Plymouth Farway hope it's dry :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good evening everyone,
    That's a shame that your apples are bug ridden MTSTM:(
    Chilli sounds like just the thing for the wet weather PN:)
    Farway - enjoy Plymouth:). I've only been to Devon once, in 2006 myself, my sister & her pal took our kids to rented a house just outside Noss Mayo/Newton Ferrers on holiday. Despite it being in the middle of nowhere with a very limited bus service we had a great holiday, not always easy with a young toddler, a seven year old & two teenagers:eek:. The sun shone every day bar one (it rained the day we went to Bigbury Beach/Burgh Island but we still has a great day) and we had several trips to Plymouth and the kids just adored the Lido. I'd love to go back one day:).

No thunder so far but some really heavy, thundery showers have persisted all day. I've not strayed beyond a quick trip to the bin.

Provisional meal plan for this week is:
    • steak dinner
    • halloumi & veg skewers with Greek pitta and tzatziki
    • pork & veg with peppercorn sauce & Ayrshire tatties
    • Stuffed pasta & pesto
    • baked pollock, chorizo & veg with butternut squash wedges
    • naan pizza
    Lunches will be the usual salads etc. though looking at the forecast I might make some soup! On Wednesday I hoping my Dad will manage for lunch and I'll make another batch of Salad Nicoise though won't open the tuna until I know he's definitely going to make it ;):)
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Brambling wrote: »
    My sister did leave having raided my cupboard for ingredients so she could make a couple of new recipes this week, and she knew I would have them :cool: just call me Mrs T :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl:My sister does that too!!
    Snap re the "steak dinner" tonight:D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 5:35PM
    Noss Mayo = nice. Plymouth = reminds me that I've still got a draw entry in to win a house there (well....the house looked nice...as well as being back in the West Country) and I don't think they've had that draw yet - welll......you gotta be in it to win it.

Just tried some of those buckwheaties cereal. Actually - not bad (with suitable additions). So duly had a bowl of that, with blueberries, orange slices, drizzle of maple syrup, dollop of Oatly "cream".....and yep......I shall be making them again I think.

Shame re my apples - but I know where I can probably forage some later on this year and there's a good chance a neighbour will pass me on some (having done so in previous years) - so I'd better get picking a bit more of my surplus fruit for them (now that it's starting to produce a reasonable amount).
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Well if you win the house MTSTM, I could probably be persuaded to come and cook for you.....:rotfl:
  • caronc wrote: »
    Well if you win the house MTSTM, I could probably be persuaded to come and cook for you.....:rotfl:

You're on:rotfl:

You don't mind sharing the house with my mother do you - as her first comment was "You win that - I'm coming to live with you". I have a feeling she wasnt joking. Not sure my father would be getting any say on that somehow:cool:

So - if you want a meal minus my mother around - make it a holiday in Wales instead - as she doesnt even want to come and visit me here....
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,051
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl:My sister does that too!!
    Snap re the "steak dinner" tonight:D

:rotfl::rotfl:

I enjoyed mine :D the steak was bigger than I thought so I shall have a steak salad for lunch tomorrow with LO asparagus and LO coleslaw.

Sitting thinking about something sweet to finish off just deciding between grapes, cherries or greengages - you can tell I've been to the SM today :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Forumite
    You're on:rotfl:

You don't mind sharing the house with my mother do you - as her first comment was "You win that - I'm coming to live with you". I have a feeling she wasnt joking. Not sure my father would be getting any say on that somehow:cool:

So - if you want a meal minus my mother around - make it a holiday in Wales instead - as she doesnt even want to come and visit me here....
    I could bring my Dad to balance things out :rotfl::rotfl:
    Brambling wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl:

I enjoyed mine :D the steak was bigger than I thought so I shall have a steak salad for lunch tomorrow with LO asparagus and LO coleslaw.

Sitting thinking about something sweet to finish off just deciding between grapes, cherries or greengages - you can tell I've been to the SM today :D
    Grapes & a bit of cheese with a glass of red would my choice:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure