Notifying Doctor of condition

Options
If you have had mental illness in the past are you required by law to update your condition currently to your doctor?

Is it best to update your condition with your doctor in case any authority contacts the doctor for information on your condition?

Are doctors required by law to inform patients that the authority is contacting them for information do you consent?

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    No.

Which authority? If you mean DWP in respect of a health-related benefit claim, then if your doctor doesn't know about your condition he/she can't provide details to DWP. If DWP don't receive evidence of your condition they will probably reject your claim.

No. If you apply for DWP health-related benefits and put your GP details on the form you are authorising DWP to contact your doctor and him/her to reply.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    not just dwp, say council, police, court, nhs, housing association, landlord, home office, mi5.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    whambam wrote: »
    not just dwp, say council, police, court, nhs, housing association, landlord, home office, mi5.
    Mi5? I doubt Mi5 would need to know. Do you ever get feelings of paranoia? I;ve had it before when i as convinced OAPs were goverment spies and i believed the dwp were putting cameras everywhere to follow me :o If you are thats maybe something to mention to your gp.

You're not required to by law or anything but personally i think its best to inform your GP as many mental illness can be treated quite well, which could lead to it improving your life, plus if you do end up needing medical evidence your GP is usually the first point of call
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Presumably your GP has your notes and so has access to the information anyway.

I agree with Messed Up about the possibility of paranoia. I've had similar episodes to the ones she mentioned, except it was my neighbours not OAPs.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you are claiming benefits lets say ESA then the DWP wouldn't usually contact a GP anyway, they would expect you to provide consultants letters etc, or perhaps a friendly OAP would be contacted.
    (sorry couldn't resist that one)
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Mi5? I doubt Mi5 would need to know. Do you ever get feelings of paranoia? I;ve had it before when i as convinced OAPs were goverment spies and i believed the dwp were putting cameras everywhere to follow me :o If you are thats maybe something to mention to your gp.

You're not required to by law or anything but personally i think its best to inform your GP as many mental illness can be treated quite well, which could lead to it improving your life, plus if you do end up needing medical evidence your GP is usually the first point of call

People should take a balanced and fair view on paranoia its found to have some truth in it. We humans are very judgemental and box information in cubes and store them away then they call themselves open minded, however in practise its just a cover to please the masses.

We do live in a fear based control world were the ordinary citizens used to have the power to seize a king or queens control now being locked up because it wasn't the story but he/she confirmed the date and time they were at a location! So whatever story someone makes up authorities take sides based on hearsay, which is illegal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure