House of Fraser U-turn - customers now WON'T get refunds for undelivered items - MSE News

Options
House of Fraser customers have been told they now won't be refunded for unfulfilled orders they placed before the store went into administration - despite the firm previously saying they would be...
Read the full story:
'House of Fraser U-turn - customers now WON'T get refunds for undelivered items'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Makeandsave
    Options
    If they fail to give refunds then people should Boycott the stores full stop, By doing this its ruined a brand name people will have lost trust!
    Jan Wins: .
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been fairly relaxed about this to date, as the original tweet said we would get a full refund, and I thought I could claim the money back via Section 75 as a last resort.

However, now they've changed their mind, and I've discovered that even though the order total was well over £100, I might not be covered on my credit card as none of the individual items was over £100!

Oh dear...
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • MrChips
    Options
    Possible good news - I used an Amex card and they seem to have something called "refund protection". They will cover me for up to £200 per item (up to £750 in total) where the retailer will not refund the item.

Fingers crossed.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrChips wrote: »
    Possible good news - I used an Amex card and they seem to have something called "refund protection". They will cover me for up to £200 per item (up to £750 in total) where the retailer will not refund the item.

Fingers crossed.

Possible bad news - I'm not sure "Refund Protection" will assist you in this instance.

According to the insurance terms, a minimum purchase value per item appears to apply (£25?)

More importantly, this insurance appears to cover items purchased from a UK store that they then fail to take back.

To make a valid claim you will need to provide the following:

1. Details of retailer who refused to accept returned items
    2. Purchased items in original packaging [This will be your main difficulty in this instance, I suspect]

The following items are also specifically excluded:
    Jewellery; precious stones; rare and precious coins or stamps; one of a kind items including antiques, art work and furs; cash or its equivalents (including travellers cheques); tickets; services; books; animals and plants; consumable and perishable goods; healthcare items; rebuilt and
    refurbished items; closing down sale items; vehicles and their parts; land and buildings; items permanently affixed to home, office or vehicles.

The insurance benefits are secondary: they will only pay amounts
    if they are not covered by other insurance or agreements.
  • MrChips
    edited 15 September 2018 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Thanks - I did have a look through the T&Cs and came to broadly the same conclusion as you. With one exception, the items are all priced at £25 and above and are all clothes so not on the excluded list. They are all still in their original packaging (I presume), just not in my possession.

I didn't see a condition where I would have to provide the items but perhaps I didn't read it thoroughly enough. It did say the items had to be in an unused condition which I can confirm - we've never had the opportunity to wear them!

It may need a slightly broader interpretation of the cover than usual but it is certainly the case that HoF are refusing to refund me and other customers as per their recent press release.

EDIT - just spotted they do expect to be provided with the items as part of a claim - it's set out in another part of the paperwork. :( I'll have to have a think if there's any other way round it...
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of all the firms to takeover HoF I didnt expect it to be Ashley, alot of customers wont be refunded and that could have a detrimental effect on the brand.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There goes the money (vouchers) I was planning on buying Christmas presents for my neices this year. Looks like I'm empty handedly going to have to explain to several children why there will be nothing from me this year.
    That and risking my mum her job because House of Fraser owed the business she worked for many thousands of pounds, I am pretty sure we wont be alone though in our very sparse Christmas this year.
  • groovy_chick
    Options
    Surely it's not legal for HoF to take money AFTER they bought the company and still refuse to refund / fulfill the order? If Sports Direct were the owners from the morning of the 10th August, then they should refund the money they took from my debit card later that day??
    Proud to be debt-free 30/6/2020

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone had any success with debit card chargeback on gift cards?

I still haven't sent my gift cards back, because I flat out didn't trust their request to do so until they demonstrated they would do something other than throw them straight in the bin.

Spoke to Halifax the other day who said:

a) try and find out what your balance is;
    b) send them to HoF as requested;
    c) if you haven't heard back in 15 calendar days, you can treat it as being a failure of HoF to deliver on their promise and then a chargeback process could be commenced.

Anyone heard anything different or had any success (or maybe even heard back from HoF yet???).
  • allyj36
    Options
    I placed on online order with HoF on the 12th August, the money was taken the same day from my creditcard. I received the email cancelling the order on the 16th August and telling me that I would get a refund however I'm still waiting!
    I don't know whether I can expect to get my refund as HoF had been bought by Mike Ashley by the time I placed my order.

As the value of my order was £65 I don't believe my creditcard company will be interested in getting the money back from HoF which means I'm out of pocket for the £65. How is it legal that they can take my money but not have to give me the goods or refund me my money!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure