Everyone seems to want to shove you onto a smart meter

Options

Comments

• jelv
    jelv Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Each time I've been offered a smart meter I've asked if it will be SMETS 2. Until I know that I would be able to switch without needing a new meter I'll carry on saying no thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 8:58AM
    Options
    jelv wrote: »
    Each time I've been offered a smart meter I've asked if it will be SMETS 2. Until I know that I would be able to switch without needing a new meter I'll carry on saying no thanks!
    It will most likely be a SMETS2 compatible smart meter that your supplier is offering to fit. Nearly all the small suppliers are using the Secure Liberty 100 gas and electric meters. These meters are listed in the makes/models which will be adopted into the DCC when it go s live.
    No need to say "no thanks ".
    BG s Landis Gyr Gas G370, G470 and Electric E470 are also in the list
    https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html
    The DCC is reported to be restoring SMETS2 function to these meters between Nov 2018 and June 2019
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    It will most likely be a SMETS2 compatible smart meter that your supplier is offering to fit. Nearly all the small suppliers are using the Secure Liberty 100 gas and electric meters. These meters are listed in the makes/models which will be adopted into the DCC when it go s live.
    No need to say "no thanks ".
    BG s Landis Gyr Gas G370, G470 and Electric E470 are also in the list

You keep putting this "advice" up - currently there is absolutely no evidence that SMETS1 meters from ANY manufacturer will be "adopted" into the DCC. It's pure Government propaganda.:(
    The sensible viewpoint is to wait for SMETS2 (or 3 or 4....)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 15 September 2018 at 12:28PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    You keep putting this "advice" up - currently there is absolutely no evidence that SMETS1 meters from ANY manufacturer will be "adopted" into the DCC. It's pure Government propaganda.:(
    The sensible viewpoint is to wait for SMETS2 (or 3 or 4....)
    That is just your idea that its "government propaganda " You will not be able to prove that until the period of Nov 2018 and June 2019 has passed
    . But as the DCC is run by the company Capita, possibly I m overstating the time frame they have published and I will be proved wrong.
    Let`s wait until then and see , meantime you will have to put up with me engaging in "government propaganda "
    The well worn old excuse for refusing a smart meter may well have to find another one to turn to. I m sure they will quickly find one.
    Everyone who switches to the cheapest suppliers, like me , will find that they will want to fit the bargain basement Secure Liberty 100 meters, which are smart then become dumb on a switch, then become smart again once the DCC becomes live.
    With my revenue protection hat on, the amusing thought has occurred to me that there will be many people (none on here of course ) using these SMETS2 compatible meters and engaging in energy theft who will not be aware that their previously thought of as "dumb " meters have magically and suddenly regained smart capability .... and the suppliers will be able to see what is happening !!.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 10:18AM
    Options
    If SMETS1 adoption is Government propaganda then The Data Communications Company seems to be putting a lot of time; technical effort and, no doubt, our money into giving life to the fact that adoption is indeed possible. Whether the likely adoption timeline makes this approach cost effective only time will tell. Hopefully, the NAO will throw some light on this in their forthcoming report on smart meter costs.

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/about-dcc/future-service-development/enrolment-and-adoption/
  • Alloneword wrote: »
    I'm with ExtraEnergy and they say everyone with them will be forced onto a smart meter by 2020 and all the supplies i have checked seem to want to shove you on this as well, it seems like they are leaving us with no choice, any suggested suppliers who won't shove me onto a smart meter

Green Network Energy: "For the reasons set out on our website we will only start installing smart meters when we consider the right technology is available in the best interests of our customers."
  • Spidernick
    Options
    Well I was with Affect Energy and now Outfox the Market and have never been contacted to have a Smart meter installed, so what am I doing wrong/right? :D

On Radio 4's Money Box the other day, they suggested that the mark one versions are still being installed and which are effectively obsolete (or will be shortly), so while I have no objection to them in principle I won't be rushing to get one at the moment.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also with Affect energy and the idea of a 'smart meter' (sic) has never been raised.

Just as well as I might have some interesting ideas where they could stick it.
  • jack_pott wrote: »
    Green Network Energy: "For the reasons set out on our website we will only start installing smart meters when we consider the right technology is available in the best interests of our customers."
    https://greennetworkenergy.co.uk/help-centre/meters-and-meter-reading/smart-meter-information/
    This may be outdated information.according to their website "they anticipate our roll out of SMETS2 smart meters to start mid 2018 "
    Had a quote from them whilst I was perusing the website on my yearly usage..Pretty poor at over £125 a year more on my 2200kwh electric and 10,000 gas kwhs than a few of the other front runners
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    https://greennetworkenergy.co.uk/help-centre/meters-and-meter-reading/smart-meter-information/
    This may be outdated information.according to their website "they anticipate our roll out of SMETS2 smart meters to start mid 2018 "
    Had a quote from them whilst I was perusing the website on my yearly usage..Pretty poor at over £125 a year more on my 2200kwh electric and 10,000 gas kwhs than a few of the other front runners

Outdated is the right word. Various industry experts are suggesting that the SMETS1 drop dead date will be moved to the right again as there are ongoing SMETS2 software issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure