Uk & Irish Passports

I have dual UK and Irish citizenship. I’m in the process of applying for my Irish passport.

What I wish to know is can I travel out on one passport and return with another or do I have to use the same passport for both?

I’ve emailed various organisations but I haven’t received a reply from any of them.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Travel out from, and back to, where?

When there's no visa or stamp in and out for these passports, such as within Europe, you don't need to enter and depart on the same one. But for a country that stamps you in, you need to produce the passport with that stamp on departure
    Evolution, not revolution
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Also what do you mean by "return with another"?

The passport you present to exit the country you are leaving (if the country in question has immigration exit checks) does not have to be the same as the passport you use to enter the country you are going to.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • I was thinking along the lines of when we leave the EU next year.

For example if I travelled to Spain could I leave the UK with my UK passport and enter Spain with my Irish passport? This would avoid paying a potential visa as I will be a non EU member next year using my UK passport. I would also avoid lining up as a non EU member.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,355 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2018 at 10:32PM
    Why would Spain introduce a visa requirement for UK passport holders after Brexit ?

They didn't prior our membership of the EU.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why would Spain introduce a visa requirement for UK pasport holders after Brexit ?

They didn't prior our membership of the EU.

There's the certainty of an ESTA like fee for non-EU citizens. Using an EU passport will mean they'll be able to use the EU lines and won't be subject to Schengen (if the country is part of Schengen) nor won't need a passport that is valid for at least 3 months after they go home

As for OP - you generally enter and a leave a country on the same passport

So you could leave the UK on your UK passport and enter an EU country on your Irish passport and vice versa.

However as Irish citizens have the same rights as UK citizens in the UK due to the Common Travel Area you can leave and enter the UK on the Irish passport
  • If they do it for us we can do it for them - so you will have to pay one way or another.
  • eDicky
    The_Jester wrote: »
    I was thinking along the lines of when we leave the EU next year.

For example if I travelled to Spain could I leave the UK with my UK passport and enter Spain with my Irish passport?
    You could do that, before or after Brexit, but remember that the passport you produce when boarding a flight must match the details you gave for API (Advance Passenger Information) before checking in.

It's possible that a mismatch will be noticed if you present a different passport on arrival, according to whether the systems are programed for this already or in future. If this occurs it would be remedied by then producing the passport you flew with.

In any case, as Alan says, you may as well depart UK on your Irish passport for the whole trip, perhaps returning on your UK one if there turns out to be any advantage.

I doubt that UK passport holders will be excluded from automatic e-gates at (non-Schengen) European borders, so queueing differences may not be relevant.
    alanrowell wrote: »
    you generally enter and a leave a country on the same passport
    In principle, yes, but in practice within Europe there's no problem for dual-nationality EU citizens switching passport. After Brexit of course, as with so many things we will have to see...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If they do it for us we can do it for them - so you will have to pay one way or another.

The agreement on a Common Travel Area between Britain and Ireland has nothing to do with the EU. We can be confident that Irish passport holders will continue to be allowed to enter the UK without fees.
  • thrifty_pete
    thrifty_pete Posts: 307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2018 at 9:54AM
    alanrowell wrote: »
    won't be subject to Schengen (if the country is part of Schengen)
    The passport you hold is irrelevant to passport controls for Schengen - you are either travelling within Schengen (i.e. between two Schengen members like Italy and Austria) in which case there is no passport control at all, or you travelling from outside Schengen (e.g. UK) to within it (e.g. Spain) or vice versa where there is passport control.
    Airports in Schengen countries have different gates for Schengen and non-Schengen flights. The latter funnel you through passport control, the former don't.
    So there will be no difference to today.
  • eDicky
    The passport you hold is irrelevant to passport controls for Schengen - you are either travelling within Schengen (i.e. between two Schengen members like Italy and Austria) in which case there is no passport control at all, or you travelling from outside Schengen (e.g. UK) to within it (e.g. Spain) or vice versa where there is passport control.
    Airports in Schengen countries have different gates for Schengen and non-Schengen flights. The latter funnel you through passport control, the former don't.
    So there will be no difference to today.
    Arrivals at EU airports from any non-Schengen country usually find there are different queues at border control, for EU/EEA nationals and for other countries, the latter involving questions about duration and purpose of visit etc, and taking more time if there's volume.

The harder the Brexit that we have to suffer, the more likely it is that Brits will be joining that 'others' queue. However for the common holiday destinations it may not make much difference, and the increasing prevalence of e-gates are likely to be usable even if directed to a desk for a stamp after passing through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport