British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have just spoken to BG collective team, who tell me my gas and electricity did switch on 3rd March, and I need to supply meter readings within 5 days of that date! Have submitted meter readings online as suggested above, but should I be slightly concerned I haven't had anything from EDF (previous supplier)? At what point do I cancel DD with EDF?

Sorry if I'm being dim, but I've never done this before so don't know how it's supposed to work.

You are not being dim. The readings that you provided go to a 3rd party for validation and they are then passed back to your new and old suppliers as opening and closing readings. The old supplier has to use reasonable endeavours to produce a final bill within 6 weeks of the transfer of supply. If you know that there is sufficient credit on your old account to cover the final bill then give EDF CS a call and tell them that you intend to cancel your DD mandate with your Bank. If you owe EDF money then, personally, I would just leave the DD in place.
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well today was supposed to be my switch over date and I've heard nothing since the Welcome to British Gas email two weeks ago, no Welcome Pack, email updates, request for meter readings etc. I've taken meter readings tonight in case they finally get round to requesting them for my switch over date.
    I'm not going to waste my time phoning them, I guess it will go through in their own good time!
    How have people found out about giving meter readings and getting an online BG account? Does a code / account number come through the post with the elusive Welcome Pack?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Cardew wrote: »
    Having spent several hours trying to sort out my tariff, I was amused to get this email:

I got one too.
    Words fail me!!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • 597money
    597money Posts: 42 Forumite
    I have an estimate of 8 March 2016 for going live with British Gas but apart from a Welcome to British Gas and a Nectar Points email not had anything more by email or in the post from BG (my old provider has posted a sorry you are leaving letter).

Is this how it should be and is anyone able to help?

Thanks
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    M271 wrote: »
    Well today was supposed to be my switch over date and I've heard nothing since the Welcome to British Gas email two weeks ago, no Welcome Pack, email updates, request for meter readings etc. I've taken meter readings tonight in case they finally get round to requesting them for my switch over date.
    I'm not going to waste my time phoning them, I guess it will go through in their own good time!
    How have people found out about giving meter readings and getting an online BG account? Does a code / account number come through the post with the elusive Welcome Pack?

I'm in much the same position. Think I will contact them by email though.

Partly to maybe hurry them up a bit, partly to ensure there's a paper trail and partly - especially - because I want this sorted out asap.

I'm perfectly capable of messing my finances up due to my own incompetence. I don't need help from anybody else's! :cool:
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • M271
    There are posters like myself where there has been a lack of communication since the Welcome To BG email and we are past our projected Switching date. Do you have an update for what is going on and what we can expect. If you give a general update it may stop many people having to contact you for personalised updates.

P.S. I emailed last week and still haven't had a response, although I did have a 'British Gas How did we do?' email back :-)
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March 2016 at 11:12AM
    I got all the right emails and so on, and then the request to submit readings which I did on the 4th - but then got the "technical problems" email yesterday!

Thanks to this this and MSE Dan's other thread, I hope I did the new submission correctly this morning - but I had to go into my account and then make sure I put in the Gas & Electricity point references before the actual meter readings, and that was something I don't think I did before (in fact, I wondered afterwards as to why BG's message told me that I would need these references that I did not actually then appear to need - but thought no more of it at the time!)

I think the main problem was/is that the long BG email "We need your readings so we can set up your account...." did not make it at all clear which of the routes you should choose to do the online submissions, and did not clearly point out that you must use the "New to British Gas Route" route rather than the "Online Customers" submission route - as many of us, myself included, are used to online submissions and took that route "automatically" on the first occasion.

PS: I got the "technical problems" email yesterday and thought that I would do the resubmission today - and then, this morning, got to thinking "I wonder if that was a phishing email?" which would require me to enter my account details, and that's why I logged on here earlier. Glad I did because (a) it was not that sort of email, and (b) I hope, I found out what to do/not to do this time around:D.
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I got the 'we need your meter readings' email last night at 2350!

Will have to do the readings tonight. But I want to read this thread through to make sure I follow the correct process and don't muck things up!
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • M271
    basketcase wrote: »
    I got the 'we need your meter readings' email last night at 2350!

Will have to do the readings tonight. But I want to read this thread through to make sure I follow the correct process and don't muck things up!

I think that our switch is following the same timing as I also received a meter reading email late last night. Like you I will enter the readings tonight hopefully following the correct New to BG meter reading route.

Still no Welcome Pack though, is this a paper document received through the post or was the Welcome to BG email a few weeks ago the communication which covers this?
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    M271 wrote: »
    Still no Welcome Pack though, is this a paper document received through the post or was the Welcome to BG email a few weeks ago the communication which covers this?

Hi M271

The 'Welcome Pack' is a slight industry misnomer - if you signed up to get updated via email, then you wouldn't usually get anything in addition to the 'welcome to BG email' which you mention.

Hope this helps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure