Defaulted Twice on same account different companies

Back in 2017 I got defaulted in two credit card accounts, one with Barclays and one with Lloyds. Lloyds passed on the account to Wescot who were collecting on their behalf and I have now finished paying them off in full. Barclays on the other hand passed it on to PRA who by the looks of things and according to my credit file, have also marked my account as defaulted.

What I am looking for is for some help in understanding whether or not this is legal? Because I was under the impression that there could only be one default per debt, regardless of whether or not the account had then be sold on to a debt collection agency!?

I am now getting to a point where I will by May next year finished clearing the last of my debts and would like to start thinking about buying a house eventually and this 3rd default really does mess things up further for me...

Has anyone been in the same situation and can advise me if this is legal/normal or is there anything I can do about it?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 October 2019 at 11:39AM
    If a debt is sold to a debt collector, then the new creditor should use the same default date as the original creditor.

Since you are saying that Barclays defaulted the account in 2017, this means the default will be automatically removed from your file six years from the default date.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think OP is saying that he has two defaults recorded for the same debt. One default recorded by Barclays, and one by PRA who purchased the debt from Barclays.

His question is should two defaults be recorded for one debt?
  • jimbo26 wrote: »
    I think OP is saying that he has two defaults recorded for the same debt. One default recorded by Barclays, and one by PRA who purchased the debt from Barclays.

His question is should two defaults be recorded for one debt?

And the answer would be yes, so long as the same dates are used.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,839 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Gary is correct.

They are not two separate defaults, they are single entries from two creditors reporting the same default.
    The default date should be the same on both entries, if they are not the same, write and complain your information is been recorded incorrectly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jimbo26
    jimbo26 Posts: 954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Check out this post, pretty much same situation as yours

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5897808
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts