Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adsk
    • By adsk 14th Oct 19, 4:42 PM
    • 245Posts
    • 340Thanks
    adsk
    Repeated issues with Barclaycard visa fraud
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:42 PM
    Repeated issues with Barclaycard visa fraud 14th Oct 19 at 4:42 PM
    I'm curious to know if I'm very unlucky or if this problem affects others.

In July my card number was fraudulently used to pay an online travel agent. Got a replacement.
    In early September my replacement was used fraudulently to make purchases on the apple store. Got a replacement.
    On Friday my new card was used fraudulently to pay for Netflix.

I take all the usual precautions to ensure my details are secure.

Are other Barclaycard/Visa users experiencing this frequency of fraud?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Oct 19, 4:45 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 26,773 Thanks
    zx81
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:45 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 4:45 PM

Are other Barclaycard/Visa users experiencing this frequency of fraud?
    Originally posted by adsk
    No. It's specific to you.

I'd start by checking your computer and other domestic arrangements.
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Oct 19, 8:31 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Oct 19, 8:31 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 8:31 PM
    And look at where you use your card,
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 14th Oct 19, 11:34 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 72,830 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 14th Oct 19, 11:34 PM
    • 14th Oct 19, 11:34 PM
    If you're getting yet another card, ask them to deliver it to your nearest branch from where you will collect it - take along some sort of photo identification when you do.

Also, if it comes with the same PIN as the previous one, shove it in a cash point inside the issuing bank and select the CHANGE PIN option and choose a new PIN.
    • penners324
    • By penners324 15th Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    penners324
    • 15th Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 15th Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    My parents have similar issues with their Barclaycard.
    • adsk
    • By adsk 15th Oct 19, 8:05 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    adsk
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:05 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:05 PM
    My parents have similar issues with their Barclaycard.
    Originally posted by penners324
    As my original post questioned, it's obviously not just affecting me but how widespread are these issues.

Despite earlier posters questioning my security precautions, as I live alone , so I know no-one else has physical access to the card or the devices that I use, only using them at national retailers such as supermarkets I'm puzzled why I've had these repeated issues. Online, my PC is fully up to date, anti-malware software installed etc and only used with Amazon/Paypal.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 15th Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    I' puzzled too. Why does it not happen to me?
    • born again
    • By born again 15th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    born again
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:12 PM
    only using them at national retailers such as supermarkets I'm puzzled why I've had these repeated issues. Online, my PC is fully up to date, anti-malware software installed etc and only used with Amazon/Paypal.
    Originally posted by adsk
    All the fraud you cited is common fraud that is seen on cards. All is online so forget the change the pin. I would also not bother with deliver to branch. Unless you have seen some tampering on the envelope's.
    Card details can be compromised at any retailer the card is used at. Just as likely where you physically use the card as online.
    Just because they re well known retailers, does nor meant that something is happening in the background.
    Think BA...

It is not common to get someone with so many fraud cases in a short period. If we do it is often a retailer they are using, on a regular basis. Where someone is simply taking the details.

I would also guess that the apple fraud also had a attempt at Netflix. As they are well known together and Netflix use Visa Account Updater to request new card details. So this could be related to the Sept fraud.
    We automatically add any card with fraud on to VAU to ensure that any retailer requesting the new card details, does not get them.
    Last edited by born again; 15-10-2019 at 8:18 PM.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 15th Oct 19, 8:17 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:17 PM
    • 15th Oct 19, 8:17 PM
    Netflix fraud is very common and I’ve seen it continue after card blocks as a CCP has been arranged which may facilitate this.

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that there has only been one occurrence of fraud and that Netflix has carried over. It may have only been a test transaction previously although it should have been identified.

That said, having fraud back to back isn’t exactly unheard of or necessarily your fault in some way (which seems to be implied above with no evidence to back this up).

We’ve seen the merchants who have suffered data breaches and they are very mainstream and reputable.

My 2 cents worth anyway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,252Posts Today

10,784Users online

Martin's Twitter