Employment rights

2»

Comments

• I'm not willing to work unpaid, not now with the way they are acting. I'm sticking strictly to my hours but I would like the 1 hour extra every 3 weeks backdated as we have raised the issue so much.
    Some managers need get themselves some serious people skills.
    I don't want too big a fight to be honest, these people tend to be better at winning these kinds of fights, but I would like to give it a go with some ammo behind me.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    how/why do end up working 4 mins a day for free, it doesnt make sense, no one rosters at 4 minute intervals....?
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    emma99909 wrote: »
    Hi, Myself and 5 of my colleagues have been working 20 minutes above our contract every week that we have not been getting paid for, this has been going on since the 1st of July 2010. This was first brought up at a meeting in September 2010, my employer had been aware of this for over 2 years now, we have brought it up at numerous staff meetings are well as in the workplace.

It has been raised with 2 team leaders and 2 service managers. Other staff members based in other places have had the same problem but had it fixed quickly. As of this week we are due 40 hours, my employer has finally agreed that we are entitled to get this backdated, however we are not getting paid for it, even although we have worked it. They are proposing that we get away 10 or 15 minutes early at the end of some shifts until the 40 hours is cleared. can we demand to be paid or is this legal?
    Thanks

Hi

You say that the employer has agreed that over the time you have worked and 'extra' 40 hours and the employer has offered a reduction in the normal shift hours to gradually clear this. You and your colleagues want a lump sum payment in recognition of the extra hours worked over the last two years.

You say that this has been going on since July 2010 but you do not say what brought this about, for example whether you were offered new terms and conditions and agreed to changes to your contracts of employment.

Your employer seems to be arguing that by allowing you to reduce each shift by 10/15 minutes your are working shorter hours for the same remuneration and therefore are being repaid for the previous hours 'overworked'.

If you are unhappy with this interpretation you could raise a greivance - information about how to do this can be found at www.adviceguide.org.uk and follow the links Work>Problems at work>Dealing with grievances at work.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Our hours were reduced from 39 to 36, and in the process of changing the rota we were rota'd in to work an extra hour every 3 weeks. Which hasn't been fixed?
    Do I have reason to raise a grievance then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure