Can I have Direct debit with HMRC

I am now getting tired with HMRC requesting all different amounts at the different frequency periods. Some time they want PAYE tax paid monthly, then don't want it for a good few months.
Then they would come up with a figure which has to be paid within very short period (I am still to figure out how long is that period).

I have just ended up paying them some penalties for being late on PAYE tax.

Is there at all a way of just having a direct debit set up so they could take what and when they want, without there being a need for me to log in to the portal very often?

Or at least to have some reminder sent to me when something becomes due?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• I am now getting tired with HMRC requesting all different amounts at the different frequency periods. Some time they want PAYE tax paid monthly, then don't want it for a good few months.
    Then they would come up with a figure which has to be paid within very short period (I am still to figure out how long is that period).

I have just ended up paying them some penalties for being late on PAYE tax.

Is there at all a way of just having a direct debit set up so they could take what and when they want, without there being a need for me to log in to the portal very often?

Or at least to have some reminder sent to me when something becomes due?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, you can pay your PAYE by Direct Debit if you wish :)

https://www.gov.uk/pay-paye-tax/direct-debit

But I'm not sure that will assist you.
    You remain responsible for calculating what you owe, and ensuring it is paid on time.

Where money is due, you must pay it by the 19th of the month, or the 22nd if paying electronically.

If you usually pay less than £1,500 per month, you may be able to pay quarterly instead of monthly.
    https://www.gov.uk/running-payroll/paying-hmrc
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I never calculate what I own. It is them who cime up with the various figures. U often don't know until almist a last minute how much they will ask for, hence the questiion.
    They would never be arsed to tell me if thr next bill u
    Is ready.
  • Yeah, I pay my PAYE via Direct Debit
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    keepschtum wrote: »
    Yeah, I pay my PAYE via Direct Debit
    But do they take it of you when they need, or is it to yourself to log in in to the portal every month?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But do they take it of you when they need, or is it to yourself to log in in to the portal every month?
    what do you mean by PAYE?

if you are running your own company payroll then you report to HMRC each month how much PAYE is owed by the company to HMRC under the RTI system that is a compulsory part of running payroll software.

the options for the physical payment of what you owe have already been listed in the link at #2, along with the option to move to quarterly and/or set up a direct debt so they take it. You cannot initiate a DD, only they can, that is the whole point of a DD, flexible totals collected by the recipient

are you perhaps conflating what taxes you are paying?
  • 00ec25 wrote: »
    what do you mean by PAYE?

if you are running your own company payroll then you report to HMRC each month how much PAYE is owed by the company to HMRC under the RTI system that is a compulsory part of running payroll software.

the options for the physical payment of what you owe have already been listed in the link at #2, along with the option to move to quarterly and/or set up a direct debt so they take it. You cannot initiate a DD, only they can, that is the whole point of a DD, flexible totals collected by the recipient

are you perhaps conflating what taxes you are paying?

I am talking about NI employer's contribution. Want to avoid logging in to online account myself every month. As it is them who tell me what amount to pay, I would rather have them taking it of me themselves.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I never calculate what I own. It is them who cime up with the various figures. U often don't know until almist a last minute how much they will ask for, hence the questiion.

So how do you run your payroll? Whoever runs the payroll (you or your accountant/book-keeper) is the person who submits the figures to HMRC, so you/they know what is due and when, even before it's submitted to HMRC.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am talking about NI employer's contribution. Want to avoid logging in to online account myself every month. As it is them who tell me what amount to pay, I would rather have them taking it of me themselves.
    I suggest you find someone to run your payroll and do your bookkeeping for you because it is inconceivable that "you" do not know how much has to be paid.

The whole point of being required to operate PAYE, and do so via payroll software, is the payroll software tells you how much to pay. HMRC do not work it out for you, you report it under RTI and...you, as the taxpayer, are then responsible for your own tax affairs including paying what you owe, when you owe it, see link at post #2

no, they do not process your variable amounts for you.
    You follow the links in post #2 each month if you wish to pay by DD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport