PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

White vinegar?

Probably being a bit thick here but went to buy some white vinegar as Tesco yesterday. All they had apart from ordinary vinegar was "distilled malt vinegar". Is this the same as white vinegar?
The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie

Comments

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Yes thats the one, its a clear one, like water
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for that, I will go and buy some today and start putting it to good use.

Love this board by the way.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think distilled malt vinegar is the same as white vinegar. Well it's different here anyway. Ordinary vinegar is the white vinegar - which is the one that you are probably after for cleaning etc.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    As far as I know it's the distilled version of vinegar that is recommended, with distilled white wine vinegar being the preferred choice and with distilled malt vinegar being an acceptable alternative.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • stuartw101
    stuartw101 Posts: 381 Forumite
    This might be a stupid question but i bought some vinegar and it was called distilled malted vinegar. Is this white vinegar?

Thanks
  • stuartw101
    I heard that it has to be called Distilled Vinegar and if it is malted then it will make your clothes smell of a chippie, but it says distilled malted vinegar is this alright then?
    Also how do i use it to get stains out of clothes?

Thanks
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    yes, that's white vinegar. It is made from malted vinegar, the distilling process makes it clear - hence the term 'white' vinegar.

Quite a few stains can be removed by using white vinegar - just gently rub the stain with the vinegar, then wash as normal either by hand or machine. You won't smell like a chipshop, honest :)

It's the best thing for descaling appliances or shower heads too and much, much cheaper than those expensive descalers they try and sell you!
  • stuartw101
    so should i soak it in the vinegar if the t-shirt has greasy stains all over it?
  • p3gg
    p3gg Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    1. Wear white shirt
    2. Spill red wine over self, like a fool
    3. Splash white vinegar on affected area
    4. Don't even bother rubbing
    5. Stain disappears. Shirt now available as a wardrobe option for tomorrw

Or in other words, A MIRACLE!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 March 2010 at 5:45PM
    I posted this on another thread and haven't received any replies. Wonder if anyone can help me here please?:o

Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me please? I've bought a bottle of 'something' from an asian supermarket today which I was told was white vinegar, suitable for cooking or cleaning. The label is all in Chinese but when I look at the 'very' fine print it lists it's ingredients as glutinous rice 70%, water, wine and sugar. It was only £1.15 for a 620ml bottle. It's obviously not white vinegar but probably rice wine vinegar, if there is such a thing! Should I return it or are there any other uses for it? I'm not really into Chinese cookery, I wanted to use it for cleaning. So much for getting it in an Asian supermarket, think I'll stick to English in future:D
    Thanks for any help you can give...:)
    Thanks, I've been told that is rice vinegar, to be used in sweet and sour etc. Good job I didn't rinse my smalls in it!:rotfl:
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure