PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vacuum cleaner

Options
Grouchy
Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
edited 18 August 2019 at 5:30PM in Old style MoneySaving
I know there are other vacuum clear recommendation threads but I think my needs are a bit different and looking for someone in a like situation who can recommend from experience.

My Electrolux is just about to die (can't complain, had it 24 years).

Looking for a lightweight and mobile vacuum cleaner. House is largeish on two floors plus would like to use it for garage occasionally. House is very minimalist scandi and no carpets, oak throughout except kitchen/bathroom which are tiled. Would be good it it was usable for the car occasionally.

Hoping to get a very lightweight and easily luggable up/down stairs. No pets and a tidy household so no special heavy duty needs. Usually just dusty and some lint etc more than anything.

Have looked around obviously and the options are dizzying and also been to JL to see a range of options. Open about corded vs cordless, but think perhaps the latter would suit?

Anyone make a good recommendation? (will not buy Dyson so exclude please).

TIA

Comments

• Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We bought one for each floor, to save the effort and risks of lugging a vacuum cleaner up and down stairs.
    I like the jug ones - such a sense of achievement when I empty it! Easy to retrieve the thing that made that clunk too.
    There are special ones for the garage/workshop and for messy emergencies. I don't fancy using the same one in both places.
    Ours are just basic ones, a Vax and a Henry. (Two Vax ones had motors burn out,) We haven't tried the sophisticated ones!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I too have an upstairs and downstairs vacuum - both GTechs. So easy to use, empty and charge. As I'm temporarily with my mother in Glasgow I've bought another for here. Can't use a cylinder model as it hurts my back, knee and hip.
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for replying. Here what model Gtech did you get, there are so many.
    Thanks
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You cannot go wrong with Henry Hoover.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Which? subscription, and have previously posted on MSE that their Best Buy category for cordless stick vacuums is (was) dominated by Bosch and Dyson models.

Just checked the app and can report that their best priced Best Buys are now the Vax Blade 2 32V (~£180 72% overall) and the Beko VRT82821B (~£200 71% overall). :j

I am happy to run other searches, or post the review of these two models if that would be of interest to you.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Henry will last you 20 years and will require few bag changes compared to these modern (dirty) bagless ones. Not exactly lightweight but if you can afford to have one on each floor that would be irrelevant as they follow you round as you hoover !
    I have a normal sized 3 bed semi and can plug it in at the bottom of the stairs and can do both floors without having to plug it in again so need for cordless.

Also the bags are very cheap on Amazon. Henry is the ultimate MSE hoover.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My carpet cleaner said he only uses Henry Hoovers.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another good thing about Henry hoover is that it can cope with rougher jobs like the OP's garage requirement. The plastics used are hardwearing and the bags are strong enough to cope with some DIY materials like plaster rubble. Wouldn't want to try any of that with a fragile, brittle cordless.

The new compact Henry 160 is smaller than the original Henry but has the same motor as the larger model.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    As long as its not a Dyson I don't care..... we've always had a Miele and never had any issues.
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. Sorry to show ignorance, but is there some problem with Dyson mechanically or is it just a preference?
    Looking ahead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport